What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avery's Law of Airplane Construction

Wingnut

Well Known Member
I was a little slow to catch on but today I discovered Avery's Law of Airplane Construction which states that once you hit the "enter" key to place an on-line order with Avery Tools you will discover at least two other items that you should have ordered but did not. Apparently this is a well known axiom as even the company itself has a "Place New Order" button at the bottom of the order confirmation screen. :D

I discovered Avery's Law of Airplane Construction which states that once you hit the "enter" key to place an on-line order with Avery Tools you will discover at least two other items that you should have ordered but did not.

Yes, and there is a well-known corollary, the Aircraft Spruce Stocking Law, that states, "When you place a second order (for the items you forgot to order the first time), those items will be backordered."

And more importantly, by the time you are done building, you will have spent about as much for shipping costs as the plane cost itself.

I found that part of the Aircraft Spruce Law, that even if it is only a matter of seconds after the original order is placed, you will be unable to add your new order to the original one to save on some shipping costs.

Homebuilding laws

Many years ago I had a list of "Murphys laws of homebuilding aircraft" I've since lost the sheet, but I've quoted it many times over the years....here's what I remember

The law of inanimate reproduction.........if you take something apart and put it back together again enough times you end up with two of them.

Unoccupied flat surface law....any horizontal surface becomes a table.

Magic word law......some jobs require magic words....

Magic word utterance rule.......when magic words are required, children or spouses tend to be in earshot....

thats all I can remember for now!

Cheers.

Joe Hine

"magic" words

I read of this British study a few months ago and just saw it "verified" on MythBusters:

Saying or shouting "magic" words does in fact increase your ability to tolerate pain! Swearing when you drill your finger makes it hurt less! They tested this on volunteers who put their hands and forearms in a container of ice water and timed how long they could keep it in the water. When allowed to swear there was a huge increase in the amount of time they stay in the ice water.

Sounds like a nomination for the Ig-Nobel prizes:rolleyes:

Jeremy

Back