What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D10A Installation Question

cbennet1

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I'm going to be retro fitting a D10A EFIS (and later D10 EMS) in to my panel.

It seems like I have a couple of options regarding power switching since the only direction I see in the installation manual is regarding breakers.

1) Add a new seperate switch
2) "Slave" it to an existing switch like my avionics switch
3) No switch, powers on with Master.

Anyone with one installed that they did one way or the other and either like it or would change it?

Thanks,
Craig

Mine powers on with the master switch

I like it this way, and it seems to be a robust little unit. I do have my transponder and radio on a separate avionics bus.

Hi All,

I'm going to be retro fitting a D10A EFIS (and later D10 EMS) in to my panel.

It seems like I have a couple of options regarding power switching since the only direction I see in the installation manual is regarding breakers.

1) Add a new seperate switch
2) "Slave" it to an existing switch like my avionics switch
3) No switch, powers on with Master.

Anyone with one installed that they did one way or the other and either like it or would change it?

Thanks,
Craig

I don't have an avionics switch so my D10-A powers up with the master switch. Been running the Dynon for several years and never had a power problem with it. You should be able to wire it whichever way best fits your checklist flow.

Craig,

I have a D100 and D10A, wired to the avionics master. Just my preference, and having it on the battery sw seems to be fine too, from all reports (no engine start surge worries, per Dynon and many customers' experience...like Sam, who has a good thought on the checklist flow).

Couple thoughts: If you want to use the EFIS checklist for the before start checklist, or later when you add the EMSD10, if you want to have the engine gauges on for start, then you'd either want to have them on the battery switch, or use the backup battery in each for that phase, which would require turning them on with the soft keys.

FWIW, if I ever swap my VM1000 for a Dynon EMS, I'll put that on the batt, and leave the EFISs on the avionics master. Just one technique, all on batt would be fine too, I'm sure.

Not advice, just thoughts!! :)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Back