What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do you fly your -A model off turf?

Do you fly your -A model RV off turf strips?

• Never

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Occassionally

Votes: 31 43.7%
  • Regularly

Votes: 22 31.0%

• Total voters

prkaye

Well Known Member
This is NOT intended to be yet another nosewheel debate. I am just curious as to how many people operate their -A models off turf strips. Feel free to comment on your thoughts regarding your decisions about this, but please let's not launch into another debate about nose gear design issues.

Based on turf

And have never had an issue, BUT, I'm always cognizant of the limitations of the nosewheel. And we have a good smooth grass strip compared to most. You just have to treat that little wheel with some care.

based on grass

Same as dedgemon. My 9A is based on 3000' grass strip. It is not an issue as long as you recognize you are not driving a Cessna or Piper down that grass runway. The nose gear should be treated with respect. Keep the weight off of it, go slow, be wise in your ground handling and it will work well on grass. Abuse the nose gear in any way and it will come back and bite you.

Don't be afraid to operate on grass just recognize you need to keep the nose gear unloaded at all times.

Both my old -6A and now my -10...

...regularly visit grass/turf strips. This past Saturday was our EAA chapter meeting and flew in to their 2600' grass strip. You need to do a little research before just blindly going into any unknown strip though.

Best,

I didn't vote because I haven't built my -9A yet but my home base will most likely be the one with grass strips because it's closest to my house - 10 minutes away. The other option is about 40 minutes away but is paved, controlled during the day and is night capable.

Cheers,

Love our grass field (3EV)

I have my RV-7A based at 3EV, a 2,100' well kept turf runway. We have four RV's on the field but mine is the only nose dragger. I just fly it like a tail dragger and keep as much weight off of the nose wheel as possible.

I watched a friend pull strands of grass from the bottom edge of my rudder; guess I have the landing attitude just about right :D

Based on a 600m turf strip. Most of our local jaunts end up on turf. We did fit a 500x5 nose wheel to give ourselves the best chance.

Dave

Back