Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2017, 10:12 AM

I have a recent thread rg my alternator failure.

I had the standard (at that time) alternator from Vans, which is a 60 Amp unit, internally regulated, no overvoltage protection....more or less an automotive alternator you can purchase for $90.

My failed HIGH in flight two weeks ago. The voltage went off scale high. It took me a little less than a minute to notice it.

By that time I had burned out one comm, my light speed ignition, and my autopilot.

And I was smelling smoke.

An emergency landing ensued.

So, at least yours failed low....

Mine is replaced now, with a Plane Power alternator and a loaner Plasma 3 box from Light Speed (thank you Klaus).

I am retrieving it on Saturday.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:18 PM

Default Here's another - kind of

I'm not flying yet. Very close, but not yet.

Not the same alternator issue but I just dealt with SB632 and was putting everything back together on my RV10 when I noticed a wire sticking out of my PP60 connector (field wire). I then literally just touched the connector and the other wires just fall out. I'm talking about the connector that ships with the wires already attached. I pulled the connector off and I can see that the wires are not crimped properly. It looks like they were crimped with the wrong size crimper.

Prior to all this the engine has run for about 40 minutes total so far and I've seen no indications of any alternator issues. I would have flown and there is no doubt I would have had an alternator failure on my first flight had I not been delayed by SB632.

I've been searching the forums and can't find what I'm looking for. I remember reading about alternator connector issues. Anybody remember where those threads are? Does anybody know the part number for this connector and/or the pins and pin extractor?
Pink slip - 7/2017
RV-10 Build Log
Old 08-07-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilbur View Post
I'm not flying yet. Very close, but not yet.

Not the same alternator issue but I just dealt with SB632 and was putting everything back together on my RV10 when I noticed a wire sticking out of my PP60 connector (field wire). I then literally just touched the connector and the other wires just fall out. I'm talking about the connector that ships with the wires already attached. I pulled the connector off and I can see that the wires are not crimped properly. It looks like they were crimped with the wrong size crimper.

Prior to all this the engine has run for about 40 minutes total so far and I've seen no indications of any alternator issues. I would have flown and there is no doubt I would have had an alternator failure on my first flight had I not been delayed by SB632.

I've been searching the forums and can't find what I'm looking for. I remember reading about alternator connector issues. Anybody remember where those threads are? Does anybody know the part number for this connector and/or the pins and pin extractor?
Here you go - http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...3&postcount=45 Cut/paste below - go to driftmotion.com

These terminals are squarish and need a narrow flat blade for a pin release. I just make one from .040" aluminum stock. Push and pull on the pin until it comes out. Pretty easy. I got a good supply of terminal pins. Get the seals too, as they provide strain relief and are needed with that stiff tefzel wire.

"Plane Power 60A Alternator

Rectifier: INR737 $39.95
Regulator IN257 ? $49.95
Bearing: 61014 ???
(alternatorparts.com)

Mating Connector: DM2085 $6.99
Pins: DM3284 $0.69
Seals: DM1598 $0.50
(driftmotion.com)"
Bill

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Aerobatics done
Phase II 8-3-18
Old 08-07-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Here you go - http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...3&postcount=45 Cut/paste below - go to driftmotion.com
Thank you!
Pink slip - 7/2017
RV-10 Build Log
Old 08-16-2017, 08:58 AM

Bryan's post has saved a few of us a ton of diagnostic time....but Bryan is intelligent and methodical so he gets the credit.
We are on our third plane power alternator in 500 hrs with all the same symptom at failure, transponder trips cb and ripple noise in intercom. Last one I sent in for repair was denied warranty as they said no issues found. They blame it on vibration, our prop has been balanced, any thoughts on cause of this?
Dues 2015 pd
Old 08-16-2017, 10:09 AM

Well, I've determined my problem IS being caused by the PlanePower 60amp. I've pulled it off the plane, and am shipping it to Hartzell to see if it will be covered under warranty.

Here's to hoping!
KSGS - Fleming Field, South Saint Paul, Minnesota

YouTube.com/GoodPlaneLiving
-- Build Timelapse and Travel Videos . . GoodPlaneLiving.com -- Build and Travel Blog
Old 08-25-2017, 11:30 AM

Default Puzzling

For some reason my email notices of replies to this thread went to spam, which I just noticed. Since my original PP failure at 250 hours TT (I think), I have had no issues. I check it carefully for black windings, loose leads, and other issues at every oil change, and I recently passed 1000 hours TT on the plane. My backup PP alternator continues to work fine when I check it periodically but I have yet to use it for a longer flight. Perhaps I should.

I'm not sure why Jack's alternator would be failing the same way so many times. One thing I did was put a max temp recording sticker on my main and backup alternators. I can't recall the temps right now but I don't believe they were anywhere near 300F on either of them. My original issue happened when PP was still independently owned. I've had a little correspondence with Hartzell since they bought PP and they seem good to work with but I would like to know how they handle warranties.

One side note, I've had the metal shroud on my backup PP FS1 alternator break twice now. The first time they scrounged up a replacement and sent it no charge. The second time they told me I could buy one on Aircraft Spruce but I haven't been able to find it. The real answer is they need to make them stronger.

Last edited by douglassmt : 08-25-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:43 AM

Regarding the shroud, Hartzell recommended to us, using some RTV on the weak places of the shroud when replacing it. That has worked for me and actually looks like a very good idea. I think in retrospect that I would do that on a new alternator from the get go?
Old 08-25-2017, 12:26 PM

Default Where to buy

Did you find where to buy the replacement shroud? Seems like they could make it out of a better metal - the stuff feels pretty cheap.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:41 PM

At the time of ours failing Hartzell supplied us with one that was laying on a desk. My suggestion is to call Hartzell for a part number so when they direct you to ACS, ACS will be able to find it in their system? I had to do this early on for a PP brush set part number for ACS to ID the part.