What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Alt & Transp Cert

GaryK

Well Known Member
Friend
So this is the first check since I have owned the plane. I've read the instructions on turning the system on and off before changing the altitude on the test set. Seems like a lot of on and off but if that's what has to be done I'll let the tech know.

When they did the cert on my last plane (GRT EFIS) they ran the altitude up and checked the transponder at every 100ft to see when when it clicked over to the next 100 (usually at +51). Seems like it will take forever it they want to do that this time, rebooting the system takes time.......

Can someone that does this often (like for a living) chime in so I can give the tech some good pointers.

Thanks
Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
So this is the first check since I have owned the plane. I've read the instructions on turning the system on and off before changing the altitude on the test set. Seems like a lot of on and off but if that's what has to be done I'll let the tech know.

When they did the cert on my last plane (GRT EFIS) they ran the altitude up and checked the transponder at every 100ft to see when when it clicked over to the next 100 (usually at +51). Seems like it will take forever it they want to do that this time, rebooting the system takes time.......

Can someone that does this often (like for a living) chime in so I can give the tech some good pointers.

Thanks
Gary

Assuming the transponder altitude data is directly from the Dynon via serial bus (no converter) there is no requirement to check each altitude correspondence point as you would with a separate gray code style encoder that has to be calibrated to match a separate altimeter. With a serial data bus with air data info even the FAA has recognized that checking a single altitude point verifies data line integrity (ref AC43-6C for more info).

EFIS tests are closer to ADC (air data computer) testing where you follow the manufacturers testing instructions to be sure the system meets the requirements of both the manufacturer and the applicable CFR's (91.411, 91.413).

So basically you are just testing the altimeter as called out in 91.411, the transponder per 91.413 and the static system.

And yes its a real pain doing the Dynon, but apparently not doing it their way may lead to serious software issues as the Dynon attempts to "adjust" itself with a changing altitude that is not accompanied by the other changing parameters it expects to see.

Any EFIS testing should have a ground power unit going as you will be doing this test for at least an hour or more.

Feel free to contact me or have your tech call if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Thanks Walt... Was going to email you directly but thought others may want to see the response.

Yes the connection is serial to the transponder. I may take you up on the offer if the tech starts scratching his/her head.

Thanks
Gary

I have never turned the Dynon on/off during a Cert. They also actually have a testing mode that is meant for doing this. You go into settings to turn it on. I think it may be new to version 15 software.

I think what you are referring to is transponder testing on the ground.

The "white paper" procedure for altimeter testing is in the current manual on page 5-22

I've talked to the folks at Dynon about this, you can do the testing without turning it off, but do so at the risk of "bricking" the unit and having to return it to Dynon to fix it.

Last edited:
I have never turned the Dynon on/off during a Cert. They also actually have a testing mode that is meant for doing this. You go into settings to turn it on. I think it may be new to version 15 software.

Jesse, this is great news! Can you tell us the exact location in settings where this feature resides? I couldn't find it in my V15 settings screens....

Version 15 introduced a feature that allows you to do a pitot/static check without the reboots. It's available under SETUP MENU > HARDWARE CALIBRATION > ADAHRS CALIBRATION > PITOT / STATIC TEST MODE.

Version 15 introduced a feature that allows you to do a pitot/static check without the reboots. It's available under SETUP MENU > HARDWARE CALIBRATION > ADAHRS CALIBRATION > PITOT / STATIC TEST MODE.

Thats great, would be even better if that info was in the latest manual that was updated for the version 15 changes rather than the old procedure which is still there.

Thats great, would be even better if that info was in the latest manual that was updated for the version 15 changes rather than the old procedure which is still there.

Walt, does it have to be in the manual in order to apply as official guidance you're required to follow during a test?

Asking because a) I truly don't know, and b) in just a few short months it'll be time for me to fly back down and visit you for another IFR cert. :D

Walt, does it have to be in the manual in order to apply as official guidance you're required to follow during a test?

Asking because a) I truly don't know, and b) in just a few short months it'll be time for me to fly back down and visit you for another IFR cert. :D

Kind of a loaded question, lets put it this way, if someone in an "official" capacity happen to be there watching... you could be sure it would be done "by the book".

Back