VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Electrical Systems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Have you installed and have you had a failure of your VP system
Installed VPX-Pro 50 59.52%
Failure of VPX-Pro 8 9.52%
Installed VPX-Sport 13 15.48%
Failure of VPX-Sport 2 2.38%
Installed VPX-200 7 8.33%
Failure of VPX-200 4 4.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasGlas View Post
That would be comparing apples to oranges.
Is one not a replacement for the other? Perhaps I misunderstand the VP.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasGlas View Post
Adding to the skew of the poll, there is no consideration of the installations. Some are far better than others. If a VP-X was abused or improperly installed where does that fall into the failure category? You can't expect any device to withstand parameters beyond it's design limits. I installed my VP-X Pro well over 3 years ago and not one glitch, works perfectly. There was a small learning curve and a stack of instructions that must be looked at but I have absolutely no complaints.
Randy makes an important point here. I saw, and I'm sure Chad sees, a wide range of knowledge about proper installation techniques and a general learning curve. We try to mitigate this risk as much as possible with a thorough installation manual and customer support line, but we can never eliminate it.

It is my belief that the survey results are basically worthless because of the wide variety of external issues that can affect an installation as well as the settings configuration. I don't have a dog in this hunt any more, but regardless, my feedback remains the same.
EAA Director (--> come to Oshkosh in 2018!)

VAF Advertiser - Aircraft Wiring Guide
Book to help with experimental aircraft wiring.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:19 PM

Also, the poll doesn't account for those who have installed multiples, either in heir own airplanes or others. Each person gets to vote once. Also, as with many avionics, if you had a poll for anybody w has hafailure of any electronic instrument in heir panel, you would get a high failure rate as well, but that doesn't mean electronics are no good. In the panels I have installed or worked on I have had failures of auto pilot servos from several companies, efis screens from all companies, engine monitors, engine probes, adahrs, GPS units, com radios, Nav radios, etc. I keep installing and recommending them, especially for brands that have great customer service. I have had very little trouble with Vertical Power products, although the VP-200 has been a little higher proble, rate than others, but at the same time, they stopped making them years ago, so the units in the field are usually well used. I think we had about 1,000 hours on our VP-200 when the display unit failed. We may have sent a control unit back for repair once for that plane as well. I haven't had any problems that I remember from a fair number of VP-50's, VP-100's and VP-Xes.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:00 PM

No doubt that there are many installations done improperly, and in addition, physical damage to the product during the installs. After all, there is a wide range of skill sets in this group of aircraft builders. Not everyone has an electrical skill set and we should expect to see infant mortality failures as a result.
While this survey may not be statistically scientific, it's the best data we have at the moment and it should be regarded as such and taken with a grain of salt.
Marc, you were the original manufacturer of the product, could we interest you in sharing actual data you may have accumulated during the time the product was produced.
It would also be interesting to know the approximate quantity of fielded systems.

I also wanted to post that the failure that I experienced and posted was, according to MCA, not a failure. I seemed to remember that the VPX trim system would not allow the trim switch to continue to drive the trim servo beyond the set limits in the VPX. Mine would not and I flagged it as a failure. Apparently this is not true, the trim limits are only shown and set to display on the EFIS, but do not limit the trim servo, nor prevent the servo from reaching it's limits. Chad, you may want to pass this along to your folks in home office, who believed as I did!
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC

Last edited by Bill.Peyton : 10-01-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:33 AM

Hi Bill, Maybe you are remembering the flap system, which does limit travel at the end of the configured stops if you have a position sensor installed.
EAA Director (--> come to Oshkosh in 2018!)

VAF Advertiser - Aircraft Wiring Guide
Book to help with experimental aircraft wiring.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:22 AM

It's been four years and 600 hours. It's hard to remember back that far. Did an earlier version of sw exhibit this function?
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC
Old 10-04-2016, 03:54 PM

Default Failure, but...

I just saw this poll and had to vote for a failure but...I was one of the early VPX Pros that had low voltage to the flaps. But I had over 800 hours on it before it caused the flaps to stop working. I sent it in and Chad fixed it under warranty. It wasn't a major failure of the electrical system and it has performed flawlessly ever since. So...I would rank failures like mine different from failures in which the entire system quit working or one of the busses quit. Comparing it to systems with breakers and fuses there are far more plusses to the VPX than the minuses that we are hearing about.

For instance, I was able to diagnose a failing alternator because of the VPX. The VPX was tripping a breaker intermittently and I couldn't figure out why. By watching the amperage on the VPX I could see it fluctuating wildly, far above the amp set point for that circuit before it tripped. I was able to trace the problem to two broken stator wires in the alternator that caused it to throw off voltage spikes. This all happened before the alternator actually failed.