What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VS-702 vs VS-802 - Differences?

BillL

Well Known Member
Does anyone know the difference between the VS-702 and the VS-802? Do the later model 8's use the VS-702 front spar?

Must be a tough question, well, can somebody look at their RV8 VS drawing and see if the VS-802 is used today or is it the VS-702?

Background. I have the old 7 rudder which the 2001 drawing says is the RV8, it also uses the VS-802 front spar for the VS. My new drawing show the VS-702 is now used for the VS on the 7. The real question is: is it also used on the 8's?

Can some one look at the RV8 VS DWG?

I just looked at my RV-8 preview plans and it lists the part number for the vertical stabilizer forward spar as VS-702. My real drawings are at the airport though.

Front Spar

Must be a tough question, well, can somebody look at their RV8 VS drawing and see if the VS-802 is used today or is it the VS-702?

Background. I have the old 7 rudder which the 2001 drawing says is the RV8, it also uses the VS-802 front spar for the VS. My new drawing show the VS-702 is now used for the VS on the 7. The real question is: is it also used on the 8's?

Can some one look at the RV8 VS DWG?

Be patient??.we are trying to build an airplane over here :D

I just saw your note and checked my plans. My 2009 documents show the front spar as VS-702 and the rear spar as VS-803PP. Hope that helps.

Sam, Robert, thanks for looking. Sorry to be impatient, my plane is in the basement. Sad for me it is not at the airport.

This is moves the question forward in the 7 - 8 VS investigation. I will call Vans for the detail information about the two. I measured the (mine) forward spar and it is 4.0" wide with 1/2" flanges and .032" thick. I am guessing that both are the same but with prepunching maybe the length has changed. There was a lot of discussion 10yrs ago about trimming the length.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
On the 8 the bottom of the forward VS spar is trimmed after assembly when you are mounting the VS to the airframe.

Back