What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-772 bottom skin to firewall holes

wirejock

Well Known Member
The manual mentions drilling the side skin to firewall but no mention of drilling the bottom skin to firewall flange and firewall lower angle. It's all measured and clamped on place. It seems like the best time to do it.
Did you drill these holes at the same time? Or is there some future step?

I had the same concern when I got to that point. After reviewing all the drawings and instructions, I finally came to the conclusion that there was no reason not to drill the flanges at that point in the build. Hopefully that won't come back to bite me.

I drilled both at the same time ... and it gave me a place to put the clecos. I read ahead, too, and saw no reason not to.

At this point I drilled and installed firewall sealant on the floor-firewall joint before riveting the floor. waiting to seal the sides as there is room to move the side skin back and install when I get to the cawling.

Thanks

Thanks everyone.
Firewall is drilled. I now know how dull my bits are. After two or three holes I bought a new one. I used a little cap with some light oil and dipped the bit each hole. Done deal.

Next question.
What about all the other skin holes at the F-706 bulkhead?

Do 'em. They're just a row of skin-skin rivets connecting the side skins to the tailcone.

Back