What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Before Wings?

atalla

Well Known Member
Hi all I have searched and have found info regarding other models but nothing on the 7

I just thinks it makes more sense to have the fine detail personalized work of the fuse be in the shop asap due to interior, electrical, and the lengthly panel work.

It seams Wings are often sold from other builders throwing in the towel for decent prices.

From my understanding, A portion of the wing kit must be sold with the fuse kit increasing the cost if i would like to switch the sequence?

Does this prevent me from buying wings from another kit?

Thoughts?

Short answer is yes. your wing spars are sold as a set that match only to the corresponding centre section sold with the set. It actually comes with the wing kit. Do it in sequence, who knows what new avionics advances will come around in the next few years.

Wing spar, center section

Short answer is yes. your wing spars are sold as a set that match only to the corresponding centre section sold with the set. It actually comes with the wing kit. Do it in sequence, who knows what new avionics advances will come around in the next few years.

I think that's changed.
That used to be the case but with Vans CNC, the match drilled models can be swapped out. I've heard of builders who had problems and replaced a spar or center section so there must be a way.
That's not the only reason though. The instructions are really detailed on the empennage. They are a little less on the wings. When you get to the fuse, only important steps are detailed.
Ask Vans to be certain. You may find a partial kit and save time. Just make sure you have the builder logs to comply with the 51% rule. If you buy a partial, it should come with the center section.

Trevor is right. Leave electronics to the very end

I bought 2008 QB wings from another builder and they bolted right up to my 2012 SB fuse that, I also bought the Center section from another kit. CNC is an amazing thing!

I think that's changed.
That used to be the case but with Vans CNC, the match drilled models can be swapped out. I've heard of builders who had problems and replaced a spar or center section so there must be a way.
That's not the only reason though. The instructions are really detailed on the empennage. They are a little less on the wings. When you get to the fuse, only important steps are detailed.
Ask Vans to be certain. You may find a partial kit and save time. Just make sure you have the builder logs to comply with the 51% rule. If you buy a partial, it should come with the center section.

Trevor is right. Leave electronics to the very end

I bought 2008 QB wings from another builder and they bolted right up to my 2012 SB fuse that, I also bought the Center section from another kit. CNC is an amazing thing!

Ok Great CNC might save me. Guys Im youngish and a low time Student pilot. I'm trying to build my first of hopefully many RV products. The first however; Used engine, used Basic Six Pack and maybe a D100 for my engine and an ipad no light, cloth interior ect. Basicly better that my 1969 172M I'm training in now :)

Back