What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

External Audio Entertainment Wiring

mwardle7

Well Known Member
I am interested in installing a marine-style digital media receiver like this:

hx6el5.jpg

(Example shown is a Clarion GR10BT)

Or, as an alternative, I would like to install a bluetooth audio adapter, like this:

2zhl838.jpg

(Example shown is a JL Audio MBT-RX)

I have the G3X system in an RV-12.

Can I simply wire the left/right audio connections directly into the aux music input connections (pins 2 & 20 of the Fuselage wiring harness)? In the case of the digital media receiver, they are almost all amplified - will this be a problem? In the case of the bluetooth audio receiver, is it simply a manner of cutting the RCA connectors and wiring them directly into the aux music wires?

I found this in the GTR 200 Installation Manual, but I don't know what the numbers mean, nor do I know what "LO" is:

2rcs9kw.png

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Last edited:
The numbers are the pins in the wiring harness that you would connect the wires to. Lo is ground, as in the ground for the RCA audio leads. I doubt you would be able to use an amplified signal without reducing it somehow to line level.

Last edited:
The specs on the Clarion show it has 4 channel preamp outputs. That means it is outputting at line level, ie, not amplified. The second item is not an amplifier either, so it would output at line level also.

For the Clarion, you would connect the front audio outputs the the GTR200 and make sure the Clarion fade control (if it has it) is 100% to the front.

If all you are looking for is one Bluetooth input, go with the hidden JL Audio. Cheaper and easier installation.

Last edited:
With consumer grade line level outputs, you're more likely to have too little volume than too much. Line outs expect to see a 10,000 to 50,000 ohm load; not 600. Many 'car stereo' systems' speaker level outputs can safely drive aviation type 600 inputs simply by turning down the volume on the stereo.

Best to just try your source of choice, and if level is low, you can add an inline booster preamp. Choose the right one, and it can double as a 'summing amp' to allow additional audio sources, like stall warnings, etc.

Charlie

Back