What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFII fuel pump installation ?

bobhope2505

If you installed the EFII system, where did you mount the dual fuel pump? Stock location or somewhere else? Either way how did it workout?

Pumps

I mounted my pumps on the left side tunnel wall and installed an access panel on the right wall. Made the plumbing easier... can?t say how it is going to work as I?m not flying yet...

Thanks for the reply. Noticed the Barrett engine. I did same. Mine arrives in two weeks with the EFII installed by them. Good luck.

Was going to say. 14 must have a different tunnel than the 7/9. I installed mine right on top of the center tunnel cover in my 9A. Basically turned the tunnel cover into a mounting deck. Put in a nice thick .050 plate under the tunnel cover as a reinforcement doubler. And no, no version of the doghouses would cover it. It?s just exposed for now until I fashion some kind of cover. ;)

Nice build! That'll get you anywhere you want to go. That sounds like some interesting bends in the fuel lines. Did you bend aluminum tube or use flex line?

Everything?s flex, done by Tom (TS Flightlines). He has my specs. I?ll fish out my pics from Google Photos later when I?m back home.

Syrus---if you are using a EFII injection with a RV14A, YES you can mount the pump. Thats easy---the extra set of rigid tubes from the Andair Duplex valve to the side bulkhead fittings---well not so easy. And the tank connection tubes to the fuse bulkhead fittings---not so easy.
That conversion does take alot of thought, planning, and more planning. Steve and I have done a few 14's with the SDS pump. "Similar" pump configuration to the EFII.

Tom

I also mounted mine in the cabin, on the floor. I plan to build a cover for them as well.

Mine in not flying yet. Few more months to go.

FP08012017A0001D.jpg

FP08012017A0001E.jpg

I mounted my pumps on the left side tunnel wall and installed an access panel on the right wall. Made the plumbing easier... can?t say how it is going to work as I?m not flying yet...

Did the exact same thing... I can get to the filters and pumps through the access panel(albeit with a few 4 letter words and scraped knuckles).

Dan,

Those are steel fittings. The hole is for the nose gear bolt. I have SS plug that will be sealed in.

Dan,
Those are steel fittings. The hole is for the nose gear bolt. I have SS plug that will be sealed in.

Got it, thanks.

I'm curious...a builder-at-large question. Traditional firewall layouts serve traditional installations. This is EFI, so no engine driven pump. Has anyone thought about moving the bulkhead fittings up high and off to the side, then plumbing direct to the fuel rail, rather than punching through low and centered, in the firewall's hot spot?

I hear you. I did it this way because of Van's heater layout. Wanted to use as many of the factory options as possible. Makes for a clean installation. I realize that this is the hottest spot in a fire event. That is why I installed steel bulkhead fittings and SS braided-fire sleeved lines on the firewall side.

In the event of a fire, I am more worried about the floor of the aircraft, however I am not going to modify that part of the aircraft.

Got it, thanks.

I'm curious...a builder-at-large question. Traditional firewall layouts serve traditional installations. This is EFI, so no engine driven pump. Has anyone thought about moving the bulkhead fittings up high and off to the side, then plumbing direct to the fuel rail, rather than punching through low and centered, in the firewall's hot spot?

That's what I've done with my alt engine install. Throttle cable and most wiring go through a flanged stainless tube above the top left motor mount bolt ( technique described in the AEC book), and fuel through a bulkhead fitting just below and inboard of the same bolt. No stretch, and minimal flex by exiting there with my configuration, with throttle and fuel at top left of the engine. Fuel line follows motor mount to the area near the fuel distribution block.

Last edited:
Back