VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-13-2013, 09:27 AM

Default Awesome Progress Tony!

Your work looks great - next time don't let your riveting partner drink beforehand Keep up the progress.
2020 =VAF= donor
Old 09-13-2013, 09:56 AM

I would like to say my work is above average but in reality it is probably just that, average. I have seen some BAD work and they seem to fly just fine. I have also seen some skilled craftsman, like Dan H, forge the way for us to follow. I think I fall squarely in the middle which is OK with me. The key to a good build is recovery. Recovering from those inevitable mistakes we all make.

As for the suggestions, I WELCOME them. I may not decide to use them but I sure like to contemplate what could be done to improve my build.

I've heard about the cooling ramp cracks, I think Van's has too. I am not 100% positive but I think the ramp is designed slightly different now than the earlier kits. Not saying it isn't still prone to cracking but I gooped it up with sealant pretty good in an attempt to reduce/absorb vibration. Many RVs are flying without additional fire protection. There is risk there. I think I have decided to also assume that risk although an engine fire certainly scares me quite a bit.

I have thought about adding a stainless steel "floor mat" under the rudder pedals. That might provide a bit of fire protection as well as some dampening affect. Haven't really crossed that bridge yet although I'm using the ground adjustable rudder pedals and am wondering why the plans don't mention riveting them in before riveting/closing up the bottom forward skins.

My next major decision is battery location. I am thinking dual LiFePo batteries in the forward baggage well. (They are so light it won't really effect CG and will allow a much shorter wire run.). I think I want to make a battery door hatch in the rear baggage area even if I don't mount the battery back there. Decisions, decisions.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 11-10-2013, 04:53 PM

Due to recent tragic event TK RV-8 shop was relocated. Workbenches, all tooling and some small parts were moved to a different location in New Jersey several miles from Solberg Airport N51. Amy wants to finish his RV and she expressed a strong desire to learn to fly.

Below is a quick visual summary on a Sunday moving day. With dose of humor as usual. Here is the Chief Counselor coming to help.

He is very smart at riveting but total dummy on navigation. Is this right airport?

No, maybe this? Why did they paint letter H in the middle of it? If closed there should be an X. Definitely not this one...

Got there finally. This truck is enough to move a well tooled shop.

These two are the drivers. First (bigger one) is Tim, Tony's brother and the second you know who.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:07 PM

Amy enlisted a lot of help. These gentlemen are not your regular movers. They charge $500 per hour, a big bill is coming your way Amy.

How many lawyers we need to disassemble a shelf? At least five...

Nobody touch this baby. It will stay here for now.

Everything packed and secured.

Ready to roll buddy?

The truck came to final location faster then I did in my RV. I tend to fly slower. Plus I had a rider who never been up in small planes and he really enjoyed the ride. Thank you Mike for trust and help. Here is the new shop. Everybody happy.

By Xmas we need to move this. Any experienced movers here ready to help?

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:10 PM

This is a build I really want to see finished!
Old 11-10-2013, 06:34 PM

Outstanding! I cant wait to see her first flight in it.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:26 PM

Default Good job Vlad

As we told you yesterday, let us know and we'll help you move and even drive some rivets. You are a good man for you efforts. And this is a great tribute to our friend.
2020 =VAF= donor
Old 11-10-2013, 11:05 PM

Talking

You are a good man Vlad. Amy---you are a strong woman--and we will help you fulfill yours and Tony's dream.
Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 11-11-2013, 03:13 AM

Many thanks to Amy and Vlad for keeping us updated here!!

You guys are top notch !!!
Empennage done(90%)
SB Wings done (90%)
SB Fuselage in progress (wiring)
Pre-closure inspection done
Old 11-11-2013, 06:17 AM

Vlad, it sounds like your close to me and our airport. Please let me know if you need help, parts or anything you may need.
Pittstown, New Jersey
Closed Thread