What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNX 375 and AK-350 altitude encoder install

Pilotjkl

Friend
I?m installing the GNX 375 in my -6 and I would like to use the existing AK-350 altitude encoder, Has anyone installed the GNX 375 with this encoder? If so could you share pin out, also will the 375 connect to Garmin 696?
Thanks
John.

The GNX 375 is a self contained IFR navigator, Mode S transponder, Encoder, and ADS-B in/ out.
You can ditch ACK encoder.

Last edited:
The GNX 375 is a self contained IFR navigator, Mode S transponder, Encoder, and ADS-B in/ out.
You can ditch ACK encoder.

Partly correct, but the encoder needs an altitude source such as a G3X, G5 or similar to work. Otherwise you are bound to use an external encoder such as the GAE or else.
I would imagine you will find the pinout in the very complete IM.

The GAE12 encoder is a very small module that attaches directly to the rear of the GTX375 and requires a static input. If you are spending the money on a GTX375 then I would recommend another $250 For this option. It is a plug and play module that requires no wiring and should be considerably more reliable than the older ACK encoder.

Last edited:
My plan is to temporarily install the GNX 375 to comply with ADSB and fly it while I build my new panel with two 7? non touch G3X and a G5.

The GAE12 is a plug and play module that requires no wiring and should be considerably more reliable than the older ACK encoder.

Maybe folks should look a the manual before posting, the GAE12 is wired into the main plug in place of the config module.

My plan is to temporarily install the GNX 375 to comply with ADSB and fly it while I build my new panel with two 7? non touch G3X and a G5.

yes, the 375 will take a gray scale input from a AK-350. I recently did similar with my Lynx install. I only missed one wire.... Be sure to ground the strobe pin on the AK-350! I purchased a 15pin Dsub cable off of Amazon and cut off one end to connect to the xpndr pins. Easier and cheap. Aeroelectric has the pinout on the AK-350 if you don't have it, but it is also on the AK-350 label.

My avionics dealer won't do an IFR cert if the encoder for the Garmin navigator or transponder is the GEA 12 because they always test the components and altimeter on the bench together. Since the GEA encoder stays behind with the equipment tray and is wired in they can't do the check outside the aircraft the way they like. There may be other more sophisticated shops who can do a cert on board the aircraft or know how to extract the wiring harness for a bench check (unlikely).

As a result I recommend a small Trans-Cal digital encoder for close to the same price as the GEA 24. All that is needed is a one-conductor shielded wire to send altitude to the navigator/transponder. And it can be tested on the bench in a conventional method.

Jim

My avionics dealer won't do an IFR cert if the encoder for the Garmin navigator or transponder is the GEA 12 because they always test the components and altimeter on the bench together. Since the GEA encoder stays behind with the equipment tray and is wired in they can't do the check outside the aircraft the way they like. There may be other more sophisticated shops who can do a cert on board the aircraft or know how to extract the wiring harness for a bench check (unlikely).

As a result I recommend a small Trans-Cal digital encoder for close to the same price as the GEA 24. All that is needed is a one-conductor shielded wire to send altitude to the navigator/transponder. And it can be tested on the bench in a conventional method.

Jim

You better tell your dealer to get with the program, the GAE encoder is practically standard equipment now on Garmin units.
Does that also mean they won't do a glass panel/AHRS because you can't put it on the bench?

Back