What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim cable sanity check RV-9A

1bigdog

Well Known Member
I about to order a new elevator trim cable (manual trim) to embed in the center console. I just want to make sure I am seeing things correctly.

Rotating the trim knob clockwise appears to result in nose up, counter clockwise nose down. Correct???
Seems counter-intuitive. I was thinking of having the mechanism reversed since I'm making a new one.

I have only used trim wheels and electric. Is my thinking off?

Thanks for your insight

Rotating the trim knob clockwise appears to result in nose up, counter clockwise nose down. Correct???
Seems counter-intuitive. I was thinking of having the mechanism reversed since I'm making a new one.
I have only used trim wheels and electric. Is my thinking off?
Thanks for your insight

No, you are not correct. Rotating the knob clockwise raises the tab, which pushes the elevator down, thereby pushing the nose down. Believe it or not almost half of the new aircraft that I inspect has the pitch trim backwards. Of course with manual trim, this is highly unlikely.

thanks

No, you are not correct. Rotating the knob clockwise raises the tab, which pushes the elevator down, thereby pushing the nose down. Believe it or not almost half of the new aircraft that I inspect has the pitch trim backwards. Of course with manual trim, this is highly unlikely.

Hi Mel

Greatly appreciated.

Back