What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thousand word antenna installation

Deweyclawson

Well Known Member
Does anyone have one of these antennas?
I am trying to figure out how to mount this in my RV6A wingtip but I don't think I know all that I should have been able to figure out from the directions.

A picture would be worth a thousand words.

14jcebt.jpg

That looks like a Archer antenna to me. If you google "Archer antenna installation" you will find multiple builders documenting their install. Mostly actually from this unbelievable useful forum.

It also looks like the COM version. Builder reports variable result with using the wingtip for comms, VOR versions seem to be more successful.

I have that antenna in my rh wing tip. Works amazing. I have it connected to my narco nav 122. Vor/gs/marker beacon all in one. Best money spent.

I rivet it to a piece of aluminum angle and put 2-3 nut plates on the end rib to hold it in place then out some edge protector so it doesn't chafe inside the wingtip and hook the center conductor to the short piece of isolated aluminum and the shield to the main body. This allows me to connect the antenna with the wingtip off

Okay, the label says "com". Is that what you are going to use it for? Most people report it only works 'fair' because com needs vertical polarization. Best you can do: attach the top (in your photo) horizontal piece electrically to the outboard rib (usually by riveting the tip attach nutplates under it). If on bottom of rib, bend the leg with the label on it up as much as the wingtip allows. vice versa if riveted to the top of the rib. The long piece at the bottom now rests against the tip. Fiberglass in place. You want to get the piece with the label on it as vertical as possible.

Thanks for all the help.
It is a Com antenna. I searched all the suggested sources and found a total of one pic of the com ant. installed. It seems that few of these are used as com antennas unless the plane has a vertical tail suitable for mounting.

I was able to figure out which pieces are which. The instructions are not clear on top, bottom, radiating element, etc.

I am going to install it in the right wing tip and I already have a bent whip on the bottom fuselage. After I get the avionics install done, I am going to add com 1/2 comparisons to my flt test profiles. Comm 1 and 2 are both VAL 2000 radios so the difference will be only the ant. install.

Tried it --- did not work well

In the RV-10 ----- had an external for Comm 1, but tried the Archer for Comm 2, as well as a Archer Nav. The Nav worked only "OK", but the comm was bad enough we installed another external whip fro Comm 2.

R.

For more discussion and PICTURES look at post titled "antenna tuning" dated 12-1-2013. Second page.
This is a -10 wingtip, larger than a -6. The fore-aft location, and mounting the ground piece to the top of the rib (via the tip attach screws and top of the wing (make sure to remove paint from under the screws!)) was chosen to maximize the vertical component of the antenna where the maximum current is carried). As I said, not as good as an external whip, but okay, for me, for ATIS/#2 com.

Last edited:
For more discussion and PICTURES look at post titled "antenna tuning" dated 12-1-2013. Second page.
This is a -10 wingtip, larger than a -6. The fore-aft location, and mounting the ground piece to the top of the rib (via the tip attach screws and top of the wing (make sure to remove paint from under the screws!)) was chosen to maximize the vertical component of the antenna where the maximum current is carried). As I said, not as good as an external whip, but okay, for me, for ATIS/#2 com.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=107189

or Click here and limit to IMAGES

Last edited:
Back