What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Leading Edges - Section 17

cderk

Well Known Member
Has anyone else found it difficult to line up the holes in the skins of the leading edges with the holes in the ribs? I'm having the most frustrating time trying to get these aligned. Not sure if I'm just stupid or what...

Thanks in advance,
Charlie

Hi Charlie
I found that you need to flute the ribs quite aggressively, particularly between the very front 3 holes (before the separate tabs)
If you can put a straight edge down the center (or edges) of the holes and they all line up then it should fit.
Cheers
Richard

Been almost 2 years, so the memory is a bit fuzzy, but I remember plans calling to cleco it together in the cradle. As I recall I had issues with doing it that way. I clecoed the first few rib holes on one side and then laid that side down on the workbench - clecos hanging off the front of the bench so the skin would lay flat. I padded the bench with an old comforter (pic below). I was then able to get leverage on the top side skin in order to lay it against the ribs and continue clecoing the top side. I did that with a couple ribs then placed it back in the cradle. I seem to remember order playing a part as well - middle rib to outside, one end to the other - can't remember.

23751DB5-85F3-493D-9299-A041BC3B3DF9.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Charlie
I found that you need to flute the ribs quite aggressively, particularly between the very front 3 holes (before the separate tabs)
If you can put a straight edge down the center (or edges) of the holes and they all line up then it should fit.
Cheers
Richard

Thanks Richard... you are correct... I wasn't fluting enough. Your trick worked like a charm too. I used my straight edge on the right side leading edge (after fumbling through the left one). It was a huge help and it went much easier. That seems to be the norm with my wings. I make a bunch of mistakes on the first side and the second side goes much smoother :D

Great Charlie.
It's 10y since I built my -7 and sometimes I feel like I'm learning all over again unfortunately! I wrestled with a few ribs before some long lost memories came back to me :eek:

It's been well documented but you also need to take the corners off the tab bends as they are straight and you will get a small "bump" in the skin if you don't. Also gives just a little more space to get the ribs in but I remember it being a real PITA.......

Back