What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A slider IP CAD

johnbright

Well Known Member
Friend
I've been designing my instrument panel in Solidworks.

I wanted to make it IFR or IFR upgradable so I made room for a GTN 650 and a D6.

Some of the parts are improvised where they were not available online. The firewall and subpanel incorrectly show cutouts left and right like the -7 IP because that's what I started with.

7dnFDgTAd8Dtf_R553RcDv9Bz13O2Ozfk9H0M9ZZjLuTI7ZCrMBZi35LDu1LRryZXFniWVJWFIFZm-1ddu5vjPYyStDEaPXSG3CXPSyy4Vl-uXpEvefRn0wo3drcWODKIaXUZRQ57nt_dWqNHWcER0ZDtoNmM_SqBZFoE9ZmI2nZNl7IQxNBgvuuwoD0pRAyqMH22qDtUer6aVHZu6ts7L2BJKKf2LJPY7016Aj4AL3YR0QjAfFINwK5yC0jwsIdUp9p3VzJ89jphs2Om02LuN4GhTV3JG7uEtjd5D9bGh6kAqEi36cQYhkFmWxW5dax5zgOclraDKytKbWgdSowAdN1WpeqWvKPaRMP82zLYhMENar5yjoRjKMzAHCghzIbmb7Nn6pmY55dntJWWgp5FRm5rTnSdKltSuRImY8UAoM84k2uqmlJ1CuORDcAbeuG1gxy0by5KL0CYF1K5f8mDDGzCnpSCyZHuqummM5JiCoytpS47Ice6LU6rMfQa1I5HlEQeMuimRblpuo6163_d0Y5ifNoLGQqr4FAMQfBjMMWhAjkHGS_bggRbwHXvy5ki5Qfqcd30bNMXEgT4_HaNk7Z1Qm41QONiHrS_mGaCc6Mau4PFTSXEIbOuR-y-KZW_rGxUVTDliu5h3a-a4xUY15Ubyegf9FXbsY=w1746-h949-no

6MhQAS2mmUL9glAC7A38MHfQ3f0w1_UqALkgtnSB8INb5-j2oUG5RQ8gaxUTgXPSr2pl5OlEq55ugP2vQizE=w1919-h899-rw

Last edited:
I'm working on an RV-6A slider as well. Just starting to layout the panel and I'm using Inventor. Where did you find switch models?

Mike

I'm working on an RV-6A slider as well. Just starting to layout the panel and I'm using Inventor. Where did you find switch models?

Mike

This is one B and C sells http://www.carlingtech.com/toggle-switches-f-series. I was able to modify the assy to get center and deflected positions.

The small one I think I found maybe on grabcad or 3d contentcentral.

The Stein start button I approximated myself.

The potentiomenter an knob maybe from grabcad.

The throttle and propeller knobs I approximated.

See folder "switches knobs breakers lights" in my google drive.

It's all a work in progress.

Anything I can do let me know.

Last edited:
If you're going to use a 650 some day, that means another (2nd comm + a nav radio), you'll REALLY want a real audio panel...either a Garmin or PSE. The Dynon Intercom is a fine solution for one radio, but not an elegant solution for multiple radios. I'd then re-arrange the center stack to put the A/P-Knob modules next to the screen, center up the center stack with the new Audio panel in it, and keep everything nice, symmetrical and tidy!

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Could I suggest you consider moving the light switches from above the throttle?

Switches near the throttle should really be those you will use often, such as fuel pump, landing lights & flaps. Others should be rather further away. Is the best place for the flap switch between the throttle & prop? Will the flap switch get bumped occasionally? Why is the mixture knob so far away? There is a reason the certification codes all require the throttle, mixture & prop to be in that order.

With the 2 fuel pump switches next to each other will you have to think each time before operating? If they were separate you could switch the correct pump quickly each time?

The real estate in the centre of the panel is important and easy for both seats to look at. How about moving the Dynon screens closer together, with only the width of a 650 in between? Dont forget you will need some angle up the side of the radios to hold in their trays - will increase the width by 3/4" each side.

Pete

PS Where can I get a tutorial to use Solidworks or eDrawings?

There are beginner books on Kindle and you don't need a Kindle reader. There are Ipad and Android reader apps and you can do it in the Amazon cloud also.
eDrawings is a viewer - not for designing.

Thanks, John, I have not used a CAD system in 20 years, so it is taking some time to get back into it. When I opened the Van's 2D RV-6 panel drawing it opened in eDrawings - I will try it in Solidworks. I have to rebuild my panel to install a new radio.
Pete

CAD Models

John,
Where did you get the Garmin CAD models? When I did my panel redo a few years ago I ended up building partial models in Catia.
Mark

throttle, prop, and mixture

Why is the mixture knob so far away? There is a reason the certification codes all require the throttle, mixture & prop to be in that order.

Actually it's throttle, prop, mixture. 23.777 D https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title14-vol1/xml/CFR-2011-title14-vol1-sec23-777.xml

Rightly or wrongly my concept is to group switches and knobs somewhat in categories so I ended up with ECU (on/off, pri/bak, advance-LOP, mixture) and coilpack controls next to the start button on the far left of the panel.
There is not room for the programmer on the far left so it has to go somewhere else which seems OK since it is not so often used. The way I look at the mixture potentiometer knob is how the pilot closes the loop as desired in absence of an O2 sensor... the knob can be left straight up for the entire flight and there is no adjustment required for altitude... I could argue that it should be out of the way so as not to be accidentally bumped and I have not seen an EFI mixture potentiometer in the conventional carb or mechanical injection knob location.

Last edited:
Orientation

On my 9A I have it set up Throttle-prop-mixture with the flap switch to the left of the throttle where I can operate it with my thumb.

Having flown other people?s planes with various configurations I am glad I did it in a more conventional manner

Jim Frisbie
EAA tech counselor
RV-9A 675 hrs
Rv10 in process

On my 9A I have it set up Throttle-prop-mixture with the flap switch to the left of the throttle where I can operate it with my thumb.

Having flown other people’s planes with various configurations I am glad I did it in a more conventional manner

Jim Frisbie
EAA tech counselor
RV-9A 675 hrs
Rv10 in process

Thanks Jim,

Right now I'm planning to leave the mixture knob on the far left of the panel. It's a potentiometer easily bumped, SDS EFI. One fellow had it nearby the prop control and he bumped it full rich in turbulence which stopped the motor, he didn't mention an incident so I gather he got it started promptly. I wondered if it would be good to make it a multi-turn pot, perhaps in the legacy location but Ross Farnham at SDS recommends against this for emergencies and LOP.... "We always recommend to mount it high, near the glareshield or some have put U shaped guards on either side."

Last edited:
Latest iteration

I reconfigured to get the EFIS screens closer together and added an audio panel.

QSqGjNVfI9MS3ZGUMd1ZnlvmSRDpSc7LaksnE0mTeb8DsNm-Tg_NyrK2UkZs_WXtneMU3GaaNXAqUhZyOHil=w1919-h899-rw

Pk8L-wlJUtdBVLubXQijSxgVZtxHx-M06A_0Ayy086fxGwA7ItCccJ4rnbWBYjw1FOmbCyS6PU0F6lukA9Cq=w1919-h899-rw

Last edited:
Back