What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glad that step is over

mciaglia

Well Known Member
Ever since purchasing the empanage kit and reading about the infamous trim tabs, I have been dreading the tip bends. Well, this weekend I tackled them and can't believe they came out. A lot of thanks to all the builders and forum posts about this in the past, your insight and experience paved the way for a successful weekend. One big pieec of advice I can impart is to make sure the wedge block does not move. Creating the wood wedges and then using the yardstick was a huge help.

32489448635_15401e5d31_c.jpg

31645933794_44c3636026_c.jpg

32367683201_707012593b_c.jpg

Nice job!
After 2 tries I ended up making small ribs.
Your advise is key about the blocks not moving at all.
That was my main issue.

Another fellow member of the One Tab Club! Welcome to the fold... (get it?)... (ouch; sorry) That was one of my proudest moments, getting those bends right. And then of course, I dropped the elevator on the floor... thankfully very light repairable damage, but I had to post here about pride going before a fall. I really like your jig blocks; I cut individual pieces and used the carpet tape trick to help hold them in the clamped position. Some minor creeping, but controllable, and it worked well. Yours look beautiful! Build on...

Yard Stick

Very nice! How was the yard stick used? To place over top of the tap to distribute even pressure while creating the fold?

The yardstick was placed behind the block that was clamped inside the trim tab. It was then secured to the table as a reinforcement to prevent the trailing edge portion of the block migrating inward. You can see it in the first picture

Thanks for the compliments. Even though it hasn't flown...es h time I walk into the shop I get the "RV grin"

BTDT

Eight tabs to bend. Got through the first 6 without a problem. Got to number 7 and the wedge slipped.

"Hello, Vans, I need to order a replacement part."

Nice pics for those who follow.

Back