What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH HBC questions

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
This will be the first time we've flown into OSH and we plan on camping in HBC. What I've not been able to figure out is after arrival and being marshaled into a camp site, where do you go to actually register for the site and to pick up admission wrist bands?

The AirVenture website spells that out for Camp Scholler which is where we always camped when we drove in, but I can't find any info on the process for aircraft camping.

Where to register

You can go to either the main entrance, or Homebuilders Headquarters to register and get your wristbands. HBHQ is closer - East of the HBC area.

Actually it will be rather easy. Stand in front of your new home for the week until you see one of the Chrysler minivans with the roof chopped off and bench seats in the back. Wave them down. When they come over tell them you need to get registered. They will take you directly over to the home built registration building. Once done, hop on the next available waiting minivan and ride back to your new temporary home. Then enjoy the week!

They don't come to you???

My last couple of trips to SNF, they were waiting at the parking spot with a credit card reader. :)

Yeah, it does sound bad, but it really is pretty convenient. Typically takes less than 10 minutes, & you can actually work on unloading while they get you registered.

Charlie

Yeah, it does sound bad, but it really is pretty convenient. Typically takes less than 10 minutes, & you can actually work on unloading while they get you registered.

Charlie

It is awesome. From HBC, it is a LOOOONG walk to registration at SnF. Having the registration van pull right up to my campsite was a welcome sight and saved me a long and otherwise unrewarding trip all the way across the airfield to register. Instead, I got to set camp, grab something to drink, and relax in the shade for a few minutes.

I wish Osh had the same registration opportunity.

It is awesome. From HBC, it is a LOOOONG walk to registration at SnF. Having the registration van pull right up to my campsite was a welcome sight and saved me a long and otherwise unrewarding trip all the way across the airfield to register. Instead, I got to set camp, grab something to drink, and relax in the shade for a few minutes.

I wish Osh had the same registration opportunity.

The Welcome Wagons at OSH are great. They will not only take you to HNC/HBP registration, but they will take you to other parts of the grounds too. They usually have a cooler of cold water in the back as well for a small donation.

This will be the first time we've flown into OSH and we plan on camping in HBC. What I've not been able to figure out is after arrival and being marshaled into a camp site, where do you go to actually register for the site and to pick up admission wrist bands?

The AirVenture website spells that out for Camp Scholler which is where we always camped when we drove in, but I can't find any info on the process for aircraft camping.

Todd,

Don't fret. There will be somebody that meets you at your aircraft to explain the process and answer any questions you may have. As Steve said, grab a Welcome Wagon and have them take you to the HBC HQ.

They'll have a bunch of goodies for you and will ask if you want your RV-10 judged. It's optional. You'll get the prop tag, a mug, wristbands, and most importantly your Perseverance Award. They'll also schedule a time to get you picture taken with your RV-10 for the award.

You can also get tickets for Thursday's night Homebuilder Dinner. There is also a corn roast in HBC on Wednesday. Van's dinner on Tuesday. RV Social on Monday. The RV-10 Dinner on Sunday. As you can tell, there is plenty of food/drink opportunities available. While it's not gourmet food, you won't go hungry.

Also, get fuel a minimum of 24 hours before departure. Due to the volume of aircraft and the consolidation of FBOs, they aren't very responsive. I usually hang the fuel tag right away, then I'm topped off if I decide to go flying during the week.

bob

I hesitate to bring this up but I have been frustrated on more then a few trips to the HBC registration desk and I have a suggestion. When you get to the registration desk, stand back for a minute and watch the people behind the desk. Look for someone who gets people in and out quickly. I am very grateful for the volunteers that make AirVenture the great event that it is but, not all volunteers have basic keyboard skills, and if you get the wrong person it can take a LONG time to enter your basic info and take your money.
I was in the North Forty last year, in a Cirrus, and the process was MUCH faster.
Does any one know if we can register for HBC in the north forty booth?

Actually it will be rather easy. Stand in front of your new home for the week until you see one of the Chrysler minivans with the roof chopped off and bench seats in the back. Wave them down. When they come over tell them you need to get registered. They will take you directly over to the home built registration building. Once done, hop on the next available waiting minivan and ride back to your new temporary home. Then enjoy the week!
Or you could call (920-230-7906 for the welcome waagon...you're welcome:D

I hesitate to bring this up but I have been frustrated on more then a few trips to the HBC registration desk and I have a suggestion. When you get to the registration desk, stand back for a minute and watch the people behind the desk. Look for someone who gets people in and out quickly. I am very grateful for the volunteers that make AirVenture the great event that it is but, not all volunteers have basic keyboard skills, and if you get the wrong person it can take a LONG time to enter your basic info and take your money.
I was in the North Forty last year, in a Cirrus, and the process was MUCH faster.

Hey Tom, I have an idea, why not volunteer if you have keyboard skills. we could use you...;)

I've always paid for wristbands and camping at the N40 shed.
Because the mugs are sometimes delivered later in the week, I'd go to HBHQ to pick up my mug and patch on Tuesday and to let them know I've been here in HBC since Saturday.

Good advice on fuel.
Or, land & top off 50-100 miles out, prior to arrival. Burn a little from both tanks prior to entering the arrival procedure (Plenty of fuel for any pattern holds, and avoids spillage while on the ground), and land for fuel 50-100 miles out after departure. Avoids waiting for the fuel trucks while on the grounds (I don't like letting someone I don't know fuel my plane when I'm not around).

Also allows shopping around for best fuel prices, 'free' food, etc.

Charlie

Back