What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

702 messed up? New 7 builder

Tiger Driver

I'm New Here
Hello all, I'm a new builder of sn74261 working on the horizontal stabilizer. Everything has been going well until tonight and I think I may have ruined my 702 spars. I'm getting ready rivet the and was test fitting one last time before I prime and start riveting. I noticed the rivet would not pass through the 714-702-405 combo easily so I ran the reamer through... And now the hole in the 702 is "slightly" elongated in the one hole. :-( all others on the 702-714 are snug.

Question, when the rivet is squeezed will it fill the hole? Is this a replacement issue... Everything including the 714/710 edge distance etc looks great.

Dave
Littleton, CO

Welcome to the VAF....

Welcome Tiger Driver and congrats on building the Vans RV-7 - a fine airplane indeed! You are in the right place to have your questions answered, as well as learn a great deal about best practices and hints/tips.

As far as the answer to your question - it's a little difficult to determine what, ""slightly" elongated in the one hole" truly means, but you would probably be good to go with either going with the same size/length rivet as in the call out if it truely was just slightly elongated. Another option would be to drill it to the next size (if it was a -3 rivet, re-drill the hole to a -4, and use that size for that hole). BUT - The best way to be sure - since you are talking about the spar, is to take a quick picture and email it to Van's builder support for a "ruling". Then you will know for sure. :) But from the sounds of it, there will be a solution that does not require replacing the spars... so take a deep breath, we have all been there. Welcome to the learning :D

welcome

Dave
Welcome. Good choice. I'm building a 7a slider in Estes Park. If you're ever in town please stop by. I will be back Dec. 9.
I agree with Jim.
The rivets will fill a little space and the primer will also take up a little space so you may be fine but asking the Mother Ship gives you some peace of mind you can print and add to the builder log.
If you want to know if the rivet will fill the hole. Make a similar scrap part and drill a hole of similar size. Drive the rivet called out in the plans.
Usually for tight holes I use the correct drill bit in a drill with no air and turn it by hand. In most cases it's just a little primer in the way.

Thanks for the replies, calling Van's in the AM....suspect I get a do over just hoping not too many parts. With all intertwined parts in that location I may need 702-405-404-710-714...

Dave

Offending hole in 702:
set-72157638065253405
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9410787@N05/11161809386/in/set-72157638065253405

holes

I see the hole is a little egg shaped. Maybe more than one of them. I can't remember the location and my plans are back home in Estes Park.
If these are 3/32 holes you could go up to 1/8 but if memory serves, they are 470-4 so it's a close call. Maybe one of the gurus here will look at the pic and comment.
It's always good to have an EAA Tech Advisor you can call on. I think you are close to Chapter 43 at Metro.
Please let us know what the Mothership says.

Last edited:
It may just be the lighting for the photo, but it appears that you might be de-burring a little bit too much. Hard to tell from a single photo.

On the other holes I think it is the angle and poor light with iPhone... Talked to Van's today on the hole in question, they said no issues build on as the rivet will fill the hole. Went ahead and primed the parts during my lunch break before the arctic blast hits Denver tomorrow.... Thanks for the replies.

good news

On the other holes I think it is the angle and poor light with iPhone... Talked to Van's today on the hole in question, they said no issues build on as the rivet will fill the hole. Went ahead and primed the parts during my lunch break before the arctic blast hits Denver tomorrow.... Thanks for the replies.

That's good news.
I would put the issue and Vans answer in your builder log.

Hi Dave, I'm in Arvada and getting close to finishing my RV 7 now. It's at Platte Valley. If ever I can help with anything, just holler. And welcome, this site is a huge help!
Enjoy, Jim
(Paid thru 2014)

Back