What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matco

Jimzim

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed the Matco wheels and brakes that come with the 7 now? I can't seem to get them together based on the plans as they only reference Clevelands! The Matco's don't seem to match up to the 810 wheel pant plate. Do the calipers mount in trail to the axle or above it or??? Van's sent pictures but they are of Clevelands, too!

Jim,

My original wheels were Cleveland's but I have since gone to 6" Matcos. I like them much better, but not sure that I can provide any detailed advice on installation, but I'll try to give you my experience.

I mounted my Matco brakes with the calipers on the bottom - it was much easier than modifying the gear fairing plates (Al plate where the wheel pant attaches on the inside), though I did have to trim some of the fairing at the bottom. This is instead of the Clevelands, which mounted "in trail" to the axle. This may be unique to the 6" wheels, I don't know. I'm using 600x4 tires, also through Matco. I also had to modify the wheel pant plate to accept the Matcos (or at least to get the bolts to work).

Not sure what else I can advise, other than to just think it through and try to make it work. I don't really like having the calipers hanging down rather than in trail, but that was the only option that allowed me to connect the brake lines so that they would work.

Greg

I had to trim a bit off of the wheel pant brackets to make these fit.
IMG2704-M.jpg

After trimming.
IMG2736-M.jpg

I too had to cut the bracket at the same location as bruceh described. I asked Vans but was told they should fit without modification - wrong.
Here is a picture of mine:

IMG_0145edit.jpg

Perfect!! Those pics solved my problem..you guys are great and thanks very much for the help!! Now if I could just get the bearings onto the axles! A little ;)more emery cloth action ought to do it :)
Thanks, Jim

Back