What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR subscriptions for Canada

1bigdog

Well Known Member
I'm getting close to having to make decisions about the IFR navigator.
My original intent had been a GNS480 to possibly feed 2 AFS5600's.
Problem is simply difficulty figuring out what it costs and who supplies the databases for Canadian content. It appears to be Jeppesen but I don't think I can get the pricing without having an account.

Are there Canadian IFR pilots out there using GNS480? Can you help clarify the subscription costs?

My alternate which I'm trying to avoid is the G3X / GTN bundle, but at least there you can see up front what the costs would be and as I understand it's for the whole aircraft, where the above would probably need a subscrition for the 480 and separate for the 5600.

Thanks for any guidance.

I don't have a GNS480 but I did use a GNS430 for a long time before I traded it in for an Avidyne IFD440. The annual cost for an "Americas" subscription, which includes Canada, from Jeppesen is about $500.00

My suggestion to you is that you get a subscription to the GPS navigator you chose and forget about getting it for your IFIS screens.

Instead get your self an iPad Mini or better yet an Android tablet of the same size and load FltPlan Go on it. All the charts, plates (geo referenced) and even the CFS as well as a host of other great features are available, this includes Canada and all for free.

ifd440 vs garmin 650

I don't have a GNS480 but I did use a GNS430 for a long time before I traded it in for an Avidyne IFD440. The annual cost for an "Americas" subscription, which includes Canada, from Jeppesen is about $500.00

My suggestion to you is that you get a subscription to the GPS navigator you chose and forget about getting it for your IFIS screens.

Instead get your self an iPad Mini or better yet an Android tablet of the same size and load FltPlan Go on it. All the charts, plates (geo referenced) and even the CFS as well as a host of other great features are available, this includes Canada and all for free.

I'm hoping to get the look and feel of a few potential navigators and EFIS at Sun & Fun. No one nearby seems to have an AFS.

Thanks for your insight.

Michael - there are lots of AFS-equipped airplanes around. One just needs to reach out a little farther than Markham sometimes. Get in contact with Rob Hickman of AFS and ask for references in the Toronto area - he will undoubtedly be able to put you in contact with other AFS customers.

As for navigators, I have a GNS480 and, while I haven't used it extensively in our aircraft I've flown in other 480-equipped aircraft. One has to be comfortable with an FMS-style navigator to be comfortable with the 480. It is a fantastically-capable box.

The same can be said for the Avidyne units - very capable and they have the best user interface of the gang. Garmin's GTN boxes have a less intuitive interface, and the 430/530 has never been a user interface with which I could live.

If my 480 were to die tomorrow I would replace it with an Avidyne - I wouldn't even have to think about that decision. The ease of use of the Avidyne boxes makes their choice a no-brainer.

Navigators and EFIS

Michael - there are lots of AFS-equipped airplanes around. One just needs to reach out a little farther than Markham sometimes. Get in contact with Rob Hickman of AFS and ask for references in the Toronto area - he will undoubtedly be able to put you in contact with other AFS customers.

As for navigators, I have a GNS480 and, while I haven't used it extensively in our aircraft I've flown in other 480-equipped aircraft. One has to be comfortable with an FMS-style navigator to be comfortable with the 480. It is a fantastically-capable box.

The same can be said for the Avidyne units - very capable and they have the best user interface of the gang. Garmin's GTN boxes have a less intuitive interface, and the 430/530 has never been a user interface with which I could live.

If my 480 were to die tomorrow I would replace it with an Avidyne - I wouldn't even have to think about that decision. The ease of use of the Avidyne boxes makes their choice a no-brainer.

I had actually gone to Rob a couple times about other Canadians with AFS panels and he had one in Calgary, one in Quebec. That's it. I don't mind going father afoot by any means but in checking Brampton, Oshawa and a general broadcast on VAF Canadians last year I came up crickets.

I believe someone at BFC has a 480. I'll see if I can get access.
I don't know the difference in approach between an FMS style and navigator such as the 430. I have certainly only heard good things about the 480.

Rob was clear about was the ability to communicate well between the 480 and the AFS EFIS, as opposed to the 430.

Thanks.

Back