What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rivet help

Adam W

Well Known Member
hey all

In need of advice again
I have noticed that the three pop rivets that go through the flap bracket, spar into the inboard end rib flange did not grasp the flange. They in fact pushed it away some. i have drilled them out but cannot get in there to clean away debris from drilling, and pull the two surfaces together for riveting.
any suggestions? is there a pop rivet that spreads extra wide and would draw these surfaces together?
i thing the angle of the rivet puller caused this as this is a very tough area to get the rivet puller into. the leading edge top skin rolls down and in the way
any suggestions
clecos do get through all surfaces but dont pull it tight

Couple of ideas off the top of my head:

- piece of bent, stiff wire to try and bend the flange up a bit
- longer pop rivet. Start to set it just enough to stop it coming through the flange hole. Pull the flange up and then gradually continue setting so that the head is pulled towards the skin. Once it touches the skin, finish setting the rivet.

No idea how to get rid of the debris - I have a couple of places with swarf swimming around...... :rolleyes:

Back