What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV10 High Density Operations

azflyer21

Well Known Member
Does anyone have performance information for operating a -10 mainly in the Southwest, Colorado where the high altitude airports are tricky in the hotter months.

I'm off the ground within 1000' when DA at KAEG is 9k'-10k'. Climb rate is ~700fpm while keeping airspeed well over Vy. I've taken off from Telluride when the Density Altitude was 13,500 with 2 adults, 2 children and all associated luggage. The ground roll was ~1/3 of the runway and the climb rate was impressive.

Sorry this is more qualitative than quantitative, but it's at least a data point.

Guy

I witnessed..

..Jim Berry and his RV-10 takeoff with 4 souls (including my wife) during a hot summer day in Denver, CO. I was recording the event from about halfway down runway 10 at Centennial. They were off the ground so quickly and climbing so well that I only was able to video the belly of the aircraft... and they went by so quickly I couldn't keep them in frame!.. :eek:

I don't have anything quantitative, but I frequently fly out of Leadville, Telluride, Steamboat at near gross on hot days. I have never felt close to running out of airplane. I have a Barrett IO540 with 9:1 pistons and roller cam. Otherwise per the plans. It is hard to overstate the capabilities of the -10.

I fly out of a 600m grass strip on a 3* slope. We take off down-slope, normally with a 10kt tailwind. Altitude is 3000' with a DA of around 5000'. Max weight I've used so far has been around 2550 being airborne just over half way down - working up to a max weight TO.

Back