What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator choice?

rocketman1988

Well Known Member
Hey guys, getting ready to choose an alternator. Any suggestions?

I had been looking at the PP products. Any known issues with these? I know HET acquired PP in 2014...

Also, any thoughts on internal vs external regulation?

Thanks.

I hope this isn't going to be a primer war....:D

You might want to call B&C, they might have a good special on now. It typically pays for the (separate) regulator. They do have specials on a regular basis and it makes them quite price competitive.

FWIW: I have a PP 60A

I've only ever had a B&C alternator in my -4. The quality and service have been outstanding. I've talked to B&C many times over the years as I've worked various electrical issues. They have always helped despite the fact that the issues were always traced back to something other than the alternator. (Usually my wiring design/execution.)

Regards,

Hard to go wrong with B&C on alternators and voltage regulators. However, I am very happy with National Air Parts out of Deland, Florida. A few more $, but a VERY robust product and fabulous customer support. I have been using their alternator for several years now. Give them a call and talk to the boss.

I just removed my PP after 500 + hours and replaced it with a B&C. I think they still have their OSH special discount through the end of this week. Take a look at the survey thread.....

I bought B&C alternators & starter a week ago

After talking to a lot of folks, seeing the poll, and the customer service experienced so far (with questions at this stage...have been talking to them at Osh for the past couple of years), I bought from B&C, one 60A belt driven main alternator (BC460-H, $595), and one 30A spline driven back up alternator (BC410-H, $597). Also, I bought the starter (BCS206-149-12, $595). Alternators bought at Oshkosh discount price and starter didn't have Oshkosh discount. I received them already.

If you want to go this route, give them a call and talk to Greg or Nathan and see if they can still sell at Osh price.

vj

I don't think that I know anyone in my flying group that HAS NOT had some type of problem with their PP alternator.

I installed the B and C when I was building and it has been problem free for 450 hours so far in a year and a half.

I like that company so much that I installed their starter also!

Just go with the B and C and you won't regret it!

;) CJ

A few years ago my research led me to B&C for starter, alternator and regulator. So far they work flawless and the company phone support has been excellent.

Bevan

I had 1200 hours on my RV7A and never had an issue with the B&C alternator. The SD-8 had a bad gear at 7 years 800 hours, they sent me a new one made of a different material no charge. Nothing but good things to say about B&C.

Gary

Back