What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Routes over the Rockies

donaziza

Well Known Member
If a guy wanted to fly from Atlanta to A34, (just north of Carson City,) Nevada, it takes you over Pueblo, Colo, Gunnison, Colo, and Hanksville, Utah. Anybody know the VFR below 12500' routes thru the Rocky mountains? The Rockies go up to about 15000':eek: or so in that general area. I don't think the mountains around Hanksville, Utah (KHVE) are a problem, but I'm not sure.

If you want to go the direct route, you follow Highway 50 west out of Pueblo over Monarch Pass to Montrose - then it is jut Basin and Range after that. Do it well before noon, or the headwinds and bumps will eat you up.

The southern route across northern New Mexico is lower and the easiest crossings are I-10 on the southern border,(with a right turn at Phoenix up past Vegas and on the east side of Death Valey) or I-80 across Wyoming and Utah, then into the Basin and Range again. Good idea to have them all in your quiver and react to the weather that you find.

Another choice is Corona pass, west of Denver/Boulder. Rocks there only go to 11,500 or so, it's popular with the locals. Only with winds less than 25 or so, of course. After that, all downhill to Hanksville, and very beautiful!

Or over La Veta Pass near Walsenburg and into the San Luis Valley near Alamosa and northwest to Gunnison.

I second for the La Vita pass. There is also an airport near the La Vita pass that has cheap gas, though I wouldnt expect any bathroom break there. The facilities are not up to any standards at all. My wife was happier peeing in the woods. Leaving the airport do a circle climb and you can follow the road through the mountains.

I also second the go before noon. You want to make it half way through Colorado before noon when the winds pick up. Winds in CO = windshear and thunderstorms (usually a lot of dry lightning). Odds are good that before noon youll have a nice ride.

Have a good and safe trip!

X

Back