What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Aerosport Panel?

Greenley

Well Known Member
Currently planning on 2 GRT HXR 10.4" panels, a GTN650, some second radio, and a GRT mini or dynon g2 for backup, along with audio panel, transponder, etc. What I am wondering is does anyone have any experience with the different panels Geoff sells, as to which would better fit two of the HXR screens? Not planning on a quadrant. I am almost always the only pilot on board and do fly a lot of IFR.
Thanks for your thoughts

Currently planning on 2 GRT HXR 10.4" panels, a GTN650, some second radio, and a GRT mini or dynon g2 for backup, along with audio panel, transponder, etc. What I am wondering is does anyone have any experience with the different panels Geoff sells, as to which would better fit two of the HXR screens? Not planning on a quadrant. I am almost always the only pilot on board and do fly a lot of IFR.
Thanks for your thoughts

The real question is do YOU want the two screens in front of you?

I have Geoff's original standard panel. I have two AFS 4500s on the left and an AFS 3400s on the right. The symmetric panel wasn't available at the time.

If I was doing it again, I would go with the symmetric panel, with a larger screen on both sides and a smaller one in the middle. Very similar to Rob Hickman's layout. I think having a large screen on each side is more practicable. But that's my opinion.

robpanel.jpg

The vernier vs throttle quadrant doesn't really make a difference in the decision making process.

The problem with two large screens on one side is will they fit. If they do, they you aren't going to have a lot of spare room for other devices.

Personally, I'd go with the symmetrical panel. That will allow you to have the 650 underneath the MFD, saving you a bit of a reach. You can also put transponders/radios/etc in the angled area below the vernier controls. You'll have an entire unused panel in front of the co-pilot, but it would be a good place to stick an iPad or something similar if you wanted.

Here's a real quick and dirty picture of what I mean:
HXr.jpg

You could always swap the MFD and the iPad if you are more concerned about the co-pilot.

Otherwise, this is the other option, with the AeroSport 10" Panel:

HXr2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts. If I went with the symmetrical panel, which I really like the looks of, I have thought about putting some kind of docking station in the middle panel for an android tablet. GRT has android apps to do flight planning, etc on a tablet and than sync it with the HXR's, it could also be a backup display for weather and traffic. Does any have any ideas on androids tablets with a little sunlight visibility, I am not expecting much.
Bill

Something to keep in mind:
The Garmin 430W, 650, etc., TSOs specify mounting the box not too low and not too far right (need to look in the install manual for the numbers).
I have never heard of a DAR complaining about this; but you don't want this kind of trouble, either.

side by side 10"

You could always swap the MFD and the iPad if you are more concerned about the co-pilot.

Otherwise, this is the other option, with the AeroSport 10" Panel:

HXr2.jpg

I decided on the side by side like the 2nd pic but am not yet flying. I've flown with Mark Cooper (charliewaffles) a couple times and he has the symmetrical panel. The main thing I'd add with the symmetrical panel is that you will not use the copilot screen nearly at all unless you are the co pilot. I do appreciate having the screen in front of me when I fly with him though :).

You will have a bugger of a time flying from the left seat looking at the right screen (PFD failure). Mark might jump on here and disagree and I'd probably listen to his opinion over mine though.

Based on others feedback with the side by side I'd hesitate to put the d2 in the lower left. I've been told its a hard spot to rely on visually if you find yourself using the backup, backup efis. I plan to copy Rob Hickman's location and mount the D2 on the center post. I think it's the only really practical place in the unlikely event you have to rely on it for attitude reference.

The clincher for me to go side by side is to monopolize both screens simultaneously so as to not rely on split screens and the more cluttered look it provides. Probably not an issue once you get used to it though. Bottom line though once you have a few hours in whichever you choose you'll not regret either!

PS. I forgot to add that it matters what type and color of primer you used. If you do not prime I'd go symmetrical! :)

Last edited:
Back