VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-09-2019, 05:06 PM

The F/A-18A-G won't have ADS-B out for a while...so keep your eyes peeled when you're flying around low level routes / R-2508...
Old 12-09-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpmicrowave View Post
In the fighter development program I recently retired from Mode S ES (ADSB) was a late after thought but it was implemented. But there is no ADSB in? So the fighter aircraft gets no big traffic picture in the normal civilian traffic environment that we now consider standard and can only detect a RV or any civilian ADSB equipped aircraft if it's either visual, called out by ATC, or picked up on its radar. While the fighter does have a basic IFF interrogator when the ILS is selected it turns off the IFF interrogator and that function is replaced with a Marker Beacon receiver function. Yes Marker Beacon (I know what your thinking). There is no GPS approach function or WAAS that we would consider standard. Plane uses Software function com/NAV radios and requires years and millions of dollars to change.
All tactical aircraft are on their own schedule of when, and potentially if, they will have ADSB Out. You would not believe the cost of getting FAA approval of a military solution to trying to be seen by others in aircraft that don’t want to be seen.
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 12-09-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoDrvr View Post
The F/A-18A-G won't have ADS-B out for a while...so keep your eyes peeled when you're flying around low level routes / R-2508...
Funny you mention that. On Thursday Feb 25, 2016, flying my previous RV-8, I flew around the Olympic Peninsula counterclockwise, with a stop at Hoquiam to walk the shorebird trail and have a snack. After turning Cape Flattery and the lighthouse on Tatoosh Island at the Northwestern most point of Washington State, I turned South toward Hoquiam and climbed to 9500 ft, and entered the Olympic B MOA. Up until that time, in all the times I’ve flown through the Olympic MOAs, I can't remember ever seeing any Military aircraft.

As I approached the South end of Lake Ozette I noticed an EA-18G Growler down low (around 3,000 ft) heading West toward the Pacific Ocean. I watched as it flew a few miles over the ocean and then did a 180 degree turn and headed back toward the East behind and way below me. He was still low so I quit watching him. So there I was enjoying the tunes on my iPod, the sunshine and smooth air at 9500 ft, with the engine purring away contentedly, and in my peripheral vision I noticed some movement on my left. I looked to the left and at about my 7 o’clock position, was an EA-18G Growler slowly coming up on my wing, a couple of wingspans away! Initially I was slightly startled, then I thought this was pretty cool, but also thought what have I done wrong (as any good, guilt-ridden Catholic US citizen would these days!).

He stayed on my wing for only a couple of seconds, rocked his wings, I rocked mine, and he slowly pulled ahead, descended slightly, and then rolled into a 60 degree bank to the right, across my flight path and slightly lower than me. Got a good view of his planform during his turn. I was concerned about his wake, but felt just a slight bobble. I did get on Guard frequency (121.5 MHz) as he was pulling away and tried to contact him a couple of times, but there was no response. He departed to the West and that was the last I saw of him. I didn’t have time to get my camera out. There were no TFRs in the area that I could have busted. I think he saw me earlier, or ATC pointed me out as traffic, and he just decided to see who was at 9500’ flying fast (relatively speaking, of course!). He probably just wanted to see closeup that beautiful RV-8. And once he saw the patriotic Red/White/Blue with Stars paint job, he knew I couldn't be up to anything nefarious! ;-)

Practice Military intercepts of Civilian aircraft used to be routine, usually with the Civilian aircraft not even aware of the intercept, until an F-16 collided with a Civilian airplane in IMC conditions in the 1980s or 1990s. After that accident, I seem to recall that practice Military intercepts of Civilian aircraft were no longer allowed (but maybe a Civilian aircraft in an MOA obviates that). I didn’t mind the Growler forming up on me, but I would have liked to talk to him, and had a minute to get my camera out!

BTW, no Black SUV’s with nervous people with M-16s met me at Hoquiam or Arlington when I landed at each airport, so I’m sending this note from my home and not Gitmo!

Now, with the much larger number of Growlers being based at Whidbey NAS, the Olympic MOA's will get a lot more use going forward.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 12-09-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:48 PM

You didn't to mention the more recent incident coming back from Forks when you saw a Growler (didn't know it at the time) on your iPad (and I soon saw it on mine) coming in from the ocean at super high speed. He slowed to about 280 kts and boogied on by toward the Air Station. Passed me about 1,500' below and maybe 2 miles distant. He didn't have ADS-B out, but showed up on ADS-B in.
RV-8 (Bought Flying)
Glasair Sportsman (Sold)
RV-8 Tail, QB Fuselage (Sold)
RV-4 (Bought Flying) (Sold)
RV-9 Tail
RV-12 120018 Flying (Sold)
RV-7 Tail, Wings, Started Fuse (Sold)
Old 12-09-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonRV View Post
You didn't to mention the more recent incident coming back from Forks when you saw a Growler (didn't know it at the time) on your iPad (and I soon saw it on mine) coming in from the ocean at super high speed. He slowed to about 280 kts and boogied on by toward the Air Station. Passed me about 1,500' below and maybe 2 miles distant. He didn't have ADS-B out, but showed up on ADS-B in.
I didn't think anyone would believe me/us if I mentioned the groundspeed that was indicated on my ForeFlight and AERA 660 when I first noticed him. I hardly believed it! As you know, initially I thought ForeFlight and the AERA 660 were fibbing to me or maybe wasn't accurate at that very high groundspeed.

As Steve mentioned, the Growler came in from the Pacific Ocean well above Mach 1, slowing quickly after he entered the mouth of the Strait of Juan de Fuca headed East back toward Whidbey NAS. We both saw him (visually) pass us after watching him on ForeFlight & AERA 660 coming up from behind very quickly.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 12-09-2019 at 11:13 PM.