What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot Help

Zazoos

Well Known Member
My project came with the Pitot you see pictured below. I have not had much luck searching for information about it online. I am going with Dynon Skyview and want to use the AOA function. Will this pitot work with the Skyview AOA. If not any idea how much I should ask for this pitot when I put it up for sale.

Pitot.JPG

Pitot1.JPG

Thank you,

This looks like the old Gretz pitot that has pitot as well as static connections.

If you take off the cardboard cover, look at the end. One hole facing forward and a few holes along the circumference means this is a pitot and static probe. If so, this will not provide AOA input to your SkyView. But - the mount should still work for the Dynon pitot/AOA probe.

If you have one hole facing forward and a hole right below it angled down, you have a pitot and AOA probe. This will provide AOA input.

I had a combination pitot/static probe on my first RV. It was horrible. At high angle of attack the static holes started to get ram air - the result was the plane well above stall but airspeed indication zero. I ended up disconnecting the static part and just installed standard static ports.

Carl

Just an FYI, an AN5814-1 pitot probe is a valuable instrument. Probably worth 5 times what the experimental probes cost. Keep that in mind when selling.

Just an FYI, an AN5814-1 pitot probe is a valuable instrument. Probably worth 5 times what the experimental probes cost. Keep that in mind when selling.

$3500 new and apparently very hard to get! Perfect for someones restoration of certified aircraft. Might take a while to link with a buyer.

Wow that is really surprising on the price. It does have the holes around the circumference. Looks like I will be selling this one and getting a Dynon.

Thank you for all the feedback.

Back