What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose Gear Mount Wear

paul330

Well Known Member
I have an issue with my nose gear. There has been some occasional "knocking" from the gear during taxi which I had put down to the Belville washers needing adjusting. However, during the Annual Service, I have found that there is slight fore/aft play in the two hinges at the bottom of the engine mount.

There are 3 possibilities:

- the bushings have worn
- the bolts have worn
- the holes in the mount have ovalled out slightly

I tend towards the first as the bushings are the softest material.

The aircraft only has 110 hours so there really shouldn't be any noticeable wear so soon - any thoughts?

I have an issue with my nose gear. There has been some occasional "knocking" from the gear during taxi which I had put down to the Belville washers needing adjusting. However, during the Annual Service, I have found that there is slight fore/aft play in the two hinges at the bottom of the engine mount.

There are 3 possibilities:

- the bushings have worn
- the bolts have worn
- the holes in the mount have ovalled out slightly

I tend towards the first as the bushings are the softest material.

The aircraft only has 110 hours so there really shouldn't be any noticeable wear so soon - any thoughts?

If everything is properly installed, wear on the bolt or the bolt holes in the gear leg tabs should not occur.
The bushing is intended to be clamped between the tabs so that all rotation is between the bushing and the I.D. of the cylindrical lugs on the engine mount.

Thanks for the replies - looks like this is not an unusual problem.

I suspect that maybe the bushings have not been properly "clamped" - maybe because of paint or manufacturing tolerances - or I didn't tighten the bolts enough (but I'm pretty sure I did).

Anyway, it would appear not to be a critical problem at this stage so I will continue flying whilst I order some replacement VA144 bushings. Looks like an easy fix and I'll make sure that the lugs are not wider than the bushings.

Maybe someone can correct me but it seems Vans will weld a tube that is already the size for the bushing. The weld deforms the tube and now the bushing is sloppy. That is what mine looked like. I re-reamed the tubes and made new bushings that fit much better. No more knocking on the nosewheel. It's been over 300 hours since I did this. I did the same with the control stick slop. I made Delrin bushings and now no play in the controls.

Back