What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magnetometer Issues?

MED

Well Known Member
My friends Carl and Rafael have been struggling with periodic magnetometer faults called out on the G3X in their RV-14A. The magnetometer was installed in the kit supplied bracket mounted mid-wing. They replaced the magnetometer once and completely rewired it without resolving the fault problem. They were recently able to eliminate the fault indication by relocating the magnetometer to the left wing tip. I need to install the magnetometer in my QB wing soon and wonder if it should go directly to the wing tip. Have others experienced similar magnetometer faults and how did you resolve them?

My friends Carl and Rafael have been struggling with periodic magnetometer faults called out on the G3X in their RV-14A. The magnetometer was installed in the kit supplied bracket mounted mid-wing. They replaced the magnetometer once and completely rewired it without resolving the fault problem. They were recently able to eliminate the fault indication by relocating the magnetometer to the left wing tip. I need to install the magnetometer in my QB wing soon and wonder if it should go directly to the wing tip. Have others experienced similar magnetometer faults and how did you resolve them?

In my RV-8A, it's installed in the left wing tip. It passed the test routine provided by a separate software program that Garmin publishes. Generally, it needs to be away from devices and structures that create magnetic fields. You might also be able to install it in the tail section - there are install kits available, but I'm not sure if there are any for the -14.

Magnetometer in the Empenage

I used the Garmin bracket manufactured for the RV7 immediately under the vertical stabiliser. If Garmin made the bracket for the empennage in the 7 then I thought it must work for the 14. Alas I also had those ad hoc messages "Magnetometer configuration", I noted it often happened in descent or in circuit and adjusting the trim. The trim motor and wiring was way to close to the magnetometer. My avionics technician moved the magnetometer into the tunnel between the AP servo and the vertical stabiliser. Never had a problem since. Hence there appears to be another solution to wing fitment.

I have had the best luck by locating the magnetometers in the wing tips. I haven't seen any error codes in the factory RV-14A, which has the magnetometer in the standard location on the inboard bottom side of the left wing. However, if I were building one, it would go into the wingtip. :)

Vic

Vic - does the factory RV-14A that you fly have a Garmin G3x or a Dynon EFIS? I thought I remembered it having a Dynon, and, perhaps, that could explain the difference in magnetometer performance.

The RV-14A that I have has the Garmin G3X setup. I believe the factory demo RV-14 has the dynon setup, and may be the one you saw.

Vic

I have had the best luck by locating the magnetometers in the wing tips. I haven't seen any error codes in the factory RV-14A, which has the magnetometer in the standard location on the inboard bottom side of the left wing. However, if I were building one, it would go into the wingtip. :)

Vic

Hi Vic,
I like your suggestion in the wing tip but like to ask your opinion for confirmation. Considering that much of the potentially higher current using wire (i.e. pitot tube, landing light) are also running along the wing length, wouldn?t you think this has a potential of effecting the magnetometers if we cannot easily separate those wires into different bundles? One would think that at least in a few places they will be very near one another like the wing root area to the fuselage.

I will be doing this in the next month or so, so I like to get as much planning ahead as I can.

I've not had a problem using shielded wire to the magnetometer. Landing lights don't begin to draw the current they used to, since the proliferation of LED lighting. Even the new Dyon and Garmin pitot tubes seem to draw a lot less current than the older AN-style.
Vic

Not an issue for the SkyView ADAHRS

We used the stock RV-14 wing ADAHRS module bracket and the Dynon plate to stack one ADAHRS on top of the other. The system works perfectly.

Carl

We used the stock RV-14 wing ADAHRS module bracket and the Dynon plate to stack one ADAHRS on top of the other. The system works perfectly.

Carl

Do you have Garmin or Dynon? Still wondering if there might be a difference in their software limits or something.

Edit: Sorry, Carl. I just noticed your message title.

Last edited:
It seems many folks have a problem with interference, particularly when they have a heated pitot. I haven't heard of anyone addressing this problem by simply putting the magnetometer in the right wing away from all of that noise. Is there a reason for not using the right wing to host the magnetometer?

Magnetometer in the Wing Tip

In our RV-14A we are experiencing frequent magnetometer error messages on the G3X Touch system with the magnetometer mounted in the wing as shown in the plans. We are thinking about relocating it to the wing tip. Can anyone comment on how to construct a mount for it in the wing tip? Should it actually go out to the fiberglass wingtip or should it be located in the outermost bay in the wing? Any advice would be appreciated.
Rick

I have put them in the outermost bay and in the wingtip. Both seem to work well. Place it forward towards the spar to increase the distance from the steel balance tube in the aileron.

Vic

Viewed the pics.
Question: What did you align the fabricated Magnetometer mount plate with in the fore/aft (pitch plane) and left/right (roll plane)?

Regarding pitch plane! Duplicate the cabin longeron angle.

Regarding roll plane! I don't think its that critical, but you can certainly add a thin spacer under the upper attach bracket mount holes to get it perfectly level.

Back