What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Canopy Frame

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
On all my previous builds the canopies have been built on the airframe; made to match the fuselage. There is an old builders joke about that,

"Make the first airplane part as close to the plans as possible, then make all the other parts fit the first part"

With the RV14 this old story no longer applies. The canopy frame is built completely by itself on the bench with no trial fitting to the fuselage.
I followed the canopy frame instructions step by step. It is not a difficult process and you can certainly see how much thought went into the process. The only thing that I did not use was a digital level. In this case it is not necessary that you know exact angles, just that each side of the frame is at the same angle as the other. It is very easy to see even minute differences with an accurate construction bubble level. I am not saying to do as I do, that is just what works for me.
I spent about two hours in the hardware store picking out a level that was actually level, and it has built a number of very accurate and fast aircraft.

Yesterday I took the riveted canopy frame and slid it into place on the canopy hinge mechanism. The forward pins slipped perfectly in place and when I pulled the canopy closed it locked in place with the latch and lined up perfectly with the side rails and aft canopy bow!

b4x3ia.jpg

it required a very small amount of filing on the metal close to the hinge to allow it to open and close without binding. The gap between the boot cowl and the canopy is even and consistent along the whole frame. Awesome!!

250oxl5.jpg

Last edited:
WOW.

Let me say that again.

WOW.

I HATED the canopy phase of my RV-9 build, it was the only time when I actually thought it had been a mistake to start the kit. Now that it's over, I'm never building another art-it-into-place canopy again. Great to hear that the RV-14 has a reasonable setup! Looking forward to seeing how the plexi goes on!

I just drilled and clecoed the rear plexi window in place. Three hours from the box to being drilled in place. Likely another three hours to finish the holes and trim a sliver from the front right side. Again, I followed the plans for the rear window and they were spot on. The plans do call for the rear window to be done before the main canopy but if I am going to heat the shop up for plexi work I only want to do it once.
Pretty good going so far, the main canopy plexi is next on the list. 40 hours so far in canopy and rear window. I am not sure if I could save any time doing it again as it is one of those jobs you just cannot rush.

Tom,
Thank you for providing your perspective on the comparison of the RV-14 canopy construction compared to others.

You are right.
A lot of effort went into the design, and the manual. Making the canopy as easy as possible to construct was on the list of primary design goals.
That is largely the reason that a sliding canopy was not offered... it would have been more difficult to make it the same level of simplification.

The canopy construction method is one of the many features of the RV-14 that make me want one over of the RV-9, even though I'd really prefer a slider.

Bob

The canopy construction method is one of the many features of the RV-14 that make me want one over of the RV-9, even though I'd really prefer a slider.

Bob

Wanna trade? Buy me a complete RV-14 kit and I'll trade you for my almost finished RV-9A ;)

Back