What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airframe Ground

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
When I installed my wing ribs they were all nicely primed. Now I realize that the kit has me use the airframe as the ground path at the wing root and at the tip. I stripped the primer a bit under the washer for the ground bolt, and when I test there is a ground path through to the skin, so all is well supposedly.

When the rivets are set in the rib to spar, are the holes upset in such a way that the primer is pushed away and a good electrical connection established? In other words is every solid rivet making the pieces electrically connected even if they are primed? I think the answer must be yes.

And is the connection more than sufficient to carry the ground current that a 14Ga wire would carry? I also think the answer must be yes.

Please don't tell me to just run a separate ground wire - I know that's an option. I was just pondering the physics of the riveted joint.

When a rivet is bucked, the forces acting on the skins are much higher than the paint can withstand, so the paint/primer will not disrupt the ground path.

Back