What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antennas

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I'm thinking through the antenna plan and the information is sparse.

Where are the NAV antennas per plans?
GPS
COM

For some reason the plans have a huge amount of grommets going out to the right wing tip - seems ideal to have a NAV antenna out there? Or is there some other reason for all the unused right wing grommets?

I'm thinking through the antenna plan and the information is sparse.

Where are the NAV antennas per plans?
GPS
COM

For some reason the plans have a huge amount of grommets going out to the right wing tip - seems ideal to have a NAV antenna out there? Or is there some other reason for all the unused right wing grommets?

Not sure about the Nav, not using it. The two coms are under each seat. The back end is for the UAT, Transponder is on the co-pilot side behind the flap motor. The GPS antennas are up to you. I am mounting the 625 off center on the pilot's side behind the back window because of that support rib in the middle. I am mounting another one for the G3X, which is also XM on top of the glare shield between the fans. Looks like Van's may have mounted one there and lastly, the little antenna for the GRT mini, I am going to mount on a bracket under the cowling somewhat close to the firewall. Lots of coax and crimps.

In the right wing, you have your Nav/Landing lights, the AP servo and if you are using aileron trim, that will go there as well. Some people have mounted the aileron trim in the left wing where the ADAHRS was to go, but I left that alone on the off chance I had a problem with the ADAHRS behind the panel. Still have extra snap bushings in there, not sure why.

Installed mine last week.
Adsb- in the aft tail.
Tx- in mid aft using plans call-out.
Com- plans call-out
Nav- right wing tip
Roll trim servo- right side vs left side
G3x Ahars - behind the panel.
G3x mag - in the tail where the Elt was to go.
Elt - mounted on the aft side of the baggage bulkhead.

Installed mine last week.
Adsb- in the aft tail.
Tx- in mid aft using plans call-out.
Com- plans call-out
Nav- right wing tip
Roll trim servo- right side vs left side
G3x Ahars - behind the panel.
G3x mag - in the tail where the Elt was to go.
Elt - mounted on the aft side of the baggage bulkhead.

Do you have any pictures of the roll trim servo or the ELT mounting that you can share?

Back