What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Release Handle

jswareiv

Well Known Member
Is anyone considering moving the canopy release handle behind the panel? If so, do you have a design? Thanks.

If the canopy is the same design as the -6, -7, & -9, then here is one solution:

(Click to enlarge)

Simply insert the Tee handle in the bottom and drill it for an AN3 bolt.
I cut off the unused tab off after I was sure it all worked fine.

I wasn't aware any of the other models had a canopy release ( jettison) ?
If you ever need to jettison the canopy I'm assuming it would be an emergency and fumbling under the panel looking for the handle probably would not be good. Or are you thinking like me that you will never have a shute on, so the only point in the release is for on the ground servicing?

I don't know how the -14 is laid out but on the single digit RV's you have to cut slots in the foreskin to let the hinges come out. Then you have to cover the slots with either tape or something to keep the rain out.

Since I don't wear a parachute, I'm not too worried about jettisoning the canopy. Even on a water landing, I will release it and let it slam forward but I want it on the plane.

As for "ground serving", I have done a bunch of panel upgrades and other work over the years and have never removed the canopy. It might as well be bolted in place.

Last edited:
If the canopy is the same design as the -6, -7, & -9, then here is one solution:

Simply insert the Tee handle in the bottom and drill it for an AN3 bolt.
I cut off the unused tab off after I was sure it all worked fine.

The -14 is different. The 650 will extend into that area where the vertical part of the handle is in your drawing and there is a fuse panel down in the middle. It's almost like it would have to be moved over a few inches, then come down. I'm not sure about the physics and design of that.

34r6nty.jpg

Maybe I am missing something here but, has any other RVs had a canopy release and has any one used it successfully to bail out? I suppose that in an acrobatic mode it might be useful. Maybe. It seems to be located on some real valuable panel real estate. It seems kinda nice to have it hooked up with the release handle behind the panel and then the canopy can be removed for maintenance tasks.

Does anyone plan to hide the release handle?

To my knowledge, no one has ever done a canopy release in flight. The original design did not have gas struts to hold the tipper up. My aircraft has the jettison but I've never used it even for ground maintenance. If I tried it in flight, the struts would probably keep the canopy attached to the aircraft, even if I remembered to release the main latch and turn the T-handle.

Canopy Release

To my knowledge, no one has ever done a canopy release in flight. The original design did not have gas struts to hold the tipper up. My aircraft has the jettison but I've never used it even for ground maintenance. If I tried it in flight, the struts would probably keep the canopy attached to the aircraft, even if I remembered to release the main latch and turn the T-handle.

If you were to release the canopy in mid air, the struts would not interfere on the 14, but it would probably take the tail off. The struts are connected to the hinges and the only thing holding the front of the canopy to the hinges are the canopy pins that get released if you pull the release handle. I would guess it would not be recommended unless the plane was on fire and you were going to burn to death. Even if you were wearing a parachute, I can't imagine how you could survive once that canopy comes flying off.

All of the above is my speculation, not that of someone that actually knows what they are talking about.

As Stoney already mentioned, the RV-14 canopy system is a totally different design than all of the other side by side RV's.
The system is intend for use if you need to bail from the airplane with a chute, so there is no concern about what the canopy does to the tail....

As Stoney already mentioned, the RV-14 canopy system is a totally different design than all of the other side by side RV's.
The system is intend for use if you need to bail from the airplane with a chute, so there is no concern about what the canopy does to the tail....

Thanks Scott. Do you think you could get clear of the plane before the canopy hits the tail and throws the plane into no telling what kind of an attitude or direction? Seems like it would hit the tail before you could jump out free of the plane.

Selling a lot of taildraggers out at Oshkosh?

what IS the optimun technique???

Thanks Scott. Do you think you could get clear of the plane before the canopy hits the tail and throws the plane into no telling what kind of an attitude or direction? Seems like it would hit the tail before you could jump out free of the plane.
.....don't REAL caterpillar club pilots roll inverted, before they egress the cockpit? :D ( and probably light a cigar, & crack a Bud, to celebrate their skill and good fortune!)

I would think there would have to be a structural failure already for one to chose to eject the canopy and bail out.

Indeed, at that point, you're probably not necessarily straight and level ... who knows where your canopy is going, and which your tail is flying ... if you've already decided to get out, the canopy hitting the tail is probably the least of your worries.

My bigger concern would be making sure *I* hit neither the canopy nor any part of the aircraft on the way out ...

Back