What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron actuation pushrods

Arablenz

Hi, I'm in the process of building the rv14 wing kit down under in New Zealand and have got to the aileron actuation push rods, where you drill 6 holes in the 1 1/8 6061 tubing using the template cut out. My problem is that template is to short and I know I can make my own template but my concern is the instructions say the Va-111 rod ends should be a tight slip in fit but mine are not. I know once I prime them the fit will be tighter. Just concerned because two things don't seem quite right. Has anyone else had the same issues?
Thanks in advance.

Roger,
The VA-111 usually are a tight fit, but between the production tolerance when they are made and the tolerance for the tubing diam. it is possible to get a slight loose fit occasionally.
It is not an issue, the rivets are what is supposed to do the job keeping it attached.
How much too short is the template?
Templates printed on paper are a compromise. Size can change with a difference in humidity and temp, from when they were printed to when they are finally used. Sometimes a surprising amount.

The template is intended to save the builders time. It is fine to use the template as a reference and lay out the rivet holes if necessary.

Thanks for your quick reply Scott, you are a real asset to us rv 14 builders so thankyou.
Yes the template is approx 2.95mm or close to 1/8'' to short yet the outside diameter of the tubing is the 1 1/8 correct size.
I will move on and hope after priming the va-111 rod ends are a firmer fit. At least I won't have to sand them to fit.

Make your own drill guide template for all your push-pull tubes that will fir perfectly for what you have:

. Take a piece of 1" masking tape and wrap it around your tube flush with the end of the tube. Overlap the tape a little.
. Take a razor knife and cut the tape in the middle of the overlap area perpendicular to the tube end.
. Remove the tape from the tube, discarding the two overlap tails that you cut off.
. Stick the tape down on a clean area of your work bench or table.
. Take your 6" steel rule and mark a straight line the length of the tape parallel to the edge of the tape that aligned with the edge of the tube and at whatever the edge distance is for your rivets.
. Measure this line and divide the measurement by one less than the number of rivets to be used. (If you need 5 rivets, divide the length of the line by 4).
. Make marks on the line you made on the tape at the lengths you just calculated.
. Peel the tape off your workbench and re-attach it to the end of the tube with the edge flush with the tube end again.
. This is your drill guide. The two mating ends of the tape is your 5th rivet. Drill through the tube and the VA-111 at the marks you made on the tape, clecoeing as you go.

It helps to have some sort of a V-jig (that you can make), and use a drill press to make sure you stay perpendicular and straight. This template takes about 5 minutes to make each time you drill a tube end and is the most accurate way to do it.

Last edited:
Back