What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Phone cable on page 10-26

JHartline

Well Known Member
Hello all,

On page 10-26 the plans say to run the phone cable through the bellcrank ribs but the holes are too small to fit the plug through. I don't have a fuselage to look at so I don't know if I can just run the cable down the left side of the ribs and skip trying to fit it through those tiny holes. Any ideas?

Thanks, James

The problem has been noted.
The cable end will fit through the holes in the structure if the snap bushing is not in place. A future plans revision will specify to use the slitting procedure in Fig 2 on DWG 10-23 and then install the snap bushing around the wires after the are laced through the structure.

Is this the "phone cable" related to the ELT?

If this is the "phone cable" related to the ELT, running it through holes should be avoided wherever possible. In the event of a crash, a bulkhead/rib can distort and cut the cable, possibly disabling the ELT. The cable should be routed around or alongside bulkheads and ribs wherever possible.

This also relates to the ELT antenna cable.

The problem has been noted.
The cable end will fit through the holes in the structure if the snap bushing is not in place. A future plans revision will specify to use the slitting procedure in Fig 2 on DWG 10-23 and then install the snap bushing around the wires after the are laced through the structure.

Scott, Vans has evolved a lot. These little things were ignored years ago. Thanks to the Vans team. The downside is soon the builders will have learned little by the time the full airplane is assembled. Note "built" was not used. At this point, I would just cut off the end and install a new one, because I had to buy a tool for doing it. A new RV owner world is coming.

Phone cable

Scott, et al,

Thanks - I tried again and got it to fit.

The other comment about routing brings up another question. If the antenna cable is compromised in a crash is the ELT ineffective? I'm used to big airplanes (C-17 and B-767) so I'm having to re-learn about light planes as I build.

Scott, et al,

Thanks - I tried again and got it to fit.

The other comment about routing brings up another question. If the antenna cable is compromised in a crash is the ELT ineffective? I'm used to big airplanes (C-17 and B-767) so I'm having to re-learn about light planes as I build.

In a word......YES!

For the antenna cable - yes, as noted by Mel.

The phone cable is only for remote activation or testing so it should still activate even if the phone cable is severed.

ELT antenna

Thanks all. Phone cable is handled. ELT antenna cable is going in per the plans for now. I'll move it later in the build if I decide it's not the best installation based on how everything else goes together.

Back