What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Length of Manual Flap Handle

David Paule

Well Known Member
I remember that some builders shortened theirs but not why. So if your flying RV-3 has manual flaps, is the handle the stock length (21" tip to centerline of the torque tube)?

If not, how long is it?

Either way, do you like the ergonomics?

I'm a ways from needing that right now but if people like the stock length and it doesn't interfere with anything, I can go ahead and make the internal latch assembly.

On my non-RV certified plane, the handle is a little long and I've gotten quite accustomed to it. I flew an RV-12 and made a note that I thought the handle was too short.

Dave

David, I will check the 3 at the airport tomorrow and see what it is. Let me know if you want any other info.

Dave, I have cut some off my flap handle so it will allow hand clearance behind the throttle quadrant and between arm rest. Hopefully it wont have increased the effort required to lower flaps too much. The length is 18 1/2 inches.
I am planning on using an electric elevator trim setup and I won't be cutting the flap notches until later on (flap rigging)...

Your project is looking good, you are doing nice work.

300sejd.jpg
[/IMG]
5yth0z.jpg
[/IMG]

Back