What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

sliding canopy tips

JimWoo50

Well Known Member
Just getting started on the canopy and was hoping some of you builders out there can give me some pointers. It has me somewhat intimidated since a number of my friends flying 6's say that the canopy is the one aspect of the aircraft that could have went better.

Finished my 9A slider a little while back and have had no trouble. No frame cutting, no jumping, no welding, no blasting. Just a little tweaking. I think the 9 parts fit better than the other models.
I cut the plexi with a 4.5 angle grinder with a cutoff stone, trimmed with a belt sander (coarse belt) and finished with a palm sander.
One thing I did to get it sliding really smoth was to put a 1/16" delrin pad on the wheel mount on each side (between the track and wheel mount)this holds the wheel dead center. I also made the rear skirt of fiberglass.
Just take your time and plug away.
Frank Wiring
-4.7F. last night

Mine did not fit well

My 9A slider frame was a "bit" more challenging. I jumped - bent - unbent that #$%^& frame for about 2 weeks before finally listening to a -9A builder (Vern Below) on this board. A local -6A builder then brought a torch over and we cut and welded it. After the cut and weld it was fit in less than 2 hours. The parts appear to be quite variable from ship to ship.

If I were to do it again - I would futz with it for 2 hours - it it did not fit, I would cut it at the back bow to side frame interface and make it fit and reweld. Prime - paint and be done with it.

This was the most frustrating part of the build to date - but it can be done!

Last edited:
Canopy frame

Pete's advise is good: Try to fit the frame. If it doesn't, cut and weld. It will save you a lot of pain and aggravation.

The aft skirt is best done with fiberglass. My technique was to lay up a layer of epoxy fiberglass on a piece of countertop laminate, waxed of course. Then, I cut this piece to the rough shape for the skirt (using the aluminum skirt template, but oversize to allow for taping it into place along the edges).

It's more flexible and easier to form than aluminum, and it can be cut and shaped/filled for a perfect fit. This piece is taped down all around, and several more layers of glass are layed up over it.

Once cured, then remove the whole shebang, trim to size and put back into place. Drill through the transparent layup into the (previously drilled) holes on the back bows and side skirts, countersink and rivet. Fill the rivets with micro and sand smooth. You can also mold a doghouse in place if you want.

A lot of work, but every day you make progress and the result is worth it.

Vern Little

FMI http://www.vx-aviation.com/rv-9a/photos/Fuselage/Canopy_photos.html

Last edited:
canopy tips

Frank - you posted "One thing I did to get it sliding really smoth was to put a 1/16" delrin pad on the wheel mount on each side (between the track and wheel mount)this holds the wheel dead center"

What is a 1/16" delrin pad??

Tom Lewis
RV7a canopy

Don't loose any parts. I can't find my tracks; when I finally need them. :confused: "UPS ground plz"

Keep fresh rubber in your rollers, my O-rings only lasted two years. (I built it two yrs ago and shoved it up above.) :D

I also used some Tinnerman washers I thought looked cool but I can't hide them now.

117050136zi.jpg

wheels28el.jpg

Last edited:
tommylewis said:
Frank - you posted "One thing I did to get it sliding really smoth was to put a 1/16" delrin pad on the wheel mount on each side (between the track and wheel mount)this holds the wheel dead center"

What is a 1/16" delrin pad??

Tom Lewis
RV7a canopy

Delrin
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Delrin is the brand name for an acetal resin engineering plastic invented and sold by DuPont. Often marketed and used as a metal substitute, Delrin is a lightweight, low-friction, and wear-resistant plastic capable of operating in temperatures in excess of 90 degrees celsius (approx 200 degrees Fahrenheit). The Food and Drug Administration has approved Delrin for use in the food industry. Delrin was used by Mattel from 1968 to 1972 to produce the low-friction wheel bearings found on redline Hot Wheels.

It is also used extensively in paintball markers, where it is used to make bolts, rams and many other parts. Its low cost, adequate strength, light weight and self lubricating properties make it ideal for markers. Its competition in this area, Nylatron, while slightly lighter is more prone to swelling. A swelled part can make the mechanism impossible to operate and sometimes even damages the marker.

Other names for this compound include: polyoxymethylene (POM), acetal resin, polytrioxane and polyformaldehyde.

Thanks for all who helped.

I Have been fitting the canopy frame and am suprised it is so close; all I have to do is trim the tubes where the rollers insert by about a half inch.

you might consider polishing your rails and the handle. only took a couple hrs.

1129050542ex.jpg

1129050589sq.jpg

1129050034sr.jpg

Last edited:
Mark Taper the lower surface latch arm upward

Mark if you leave the latch arm as shown in your photo some day it will be unlatched with the rear of the arm pointing forward and someone (not you of course) is going to shove the canopy forward to the closed position but it won't get there. The end of the latch handle will cut into the windshield assembly. The lower surface should be cut off so that it tapers up enough to clear when that awkward moment arrives and the latch handle is pointed forward instead of aft during closure.

Bob Axsom

Oh, the horror.

Bob Axsom said:
Mark if you leave the latch arm as shown in your photo some day it will be unlatched with the rear of the arm pointing forward and someone (not you of course) is going to shove the canopy forward to the closed position but it won't get there. The end of the latch handle will cut into the windshield assembly. The lower surface should be cut off so that it tapers up enough to clear when that awkward moment arrives and the latch handle is pointed forward instead of aft during closure.Bob Axsom
Excellent tip Bob. Slider builders should pay heed. The fiberglass fairing on "Darla" exhibits small serrations or teeth mark damage immediately forward of the latch where it has caught the fairing from time to time as I slid the canopy closed with the latch cocked off center. Some minor fiberglass touchup work is in store....another example why I am soooo pleased I decided to forgo that expensive paint job until later. Bob, I suspect you too experienced this little aggravation?

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Alas tis true

Yes, only once but as in your case it wasn't painted until I had debugged the plane (about one year) and I was able to repair it without too much pain.

Bob Axsom

canopy latch

does this look like enough? about a 1/4" thanks. good luck frank, I'm right behind you except I'm dismantling the fuse just below the slider stop. Too short pop rivets and I forgot to relieve,radius the corner of the "can't recall what it's called." F-757

112905056canopyhandle507qi.jpg

112905038needsdeburring4df.jpg

It's a cut to fit thing

You have to fit it to your hardware and structure. If you tapered up 1/4" that sounds good enough but mine looks more tapered than yours - just a caution. Also you may want to round off the leading edge of the latch handle to make it more streamlined both the shape and the sharp corners are drag concerns.

Bob Axsom

Eye Poppin good!

It looks perfect to me Mark. The workmanship in your plane continues to impress me greatly. As far as keeping up well maybe we'll meet on the race course from Dayton to Oshkosh some day and find out - I hope so but I'll try to make it as difficult for you as I can. I'm going to deal with a couple of drag items myself over the winter.

Bob Axsom

protect the canopy

Looking back; I wish I would have taken better (extremely)care of the canopy plexi.-- Scuffs and scratches. and hopefully not much overspray.

Here's a tip-- when you mask off the slider, up on top-- put some cotton cloth between your masking paper and plexi-- a guy who has built and painted at least 8 RV's stopped me and had me redo it.

What happens is, you flop your canopy over like a turtle for any number of reasons and the MASKING PAPER WILL SCRATCH THE CANOPY GLASS. (you assume the masking paper is protecting the canopy.) My picts kind of shows half my top unmasked and the white cotton rags.

1112051209qg.jpg

earlyxmasat455yd.jpg

Back