What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Squelch problems

FNG

My buddy installed LED light bulbs in the wingtip of his C-172 and it caused the squelch to not work on his Kx-165 radio. He also has an LED landing light and sky beacon ADSB. A call to the sky beacon company revealed this to be a problem with some aircraft. I thought I?d post this here in case someone is having the same problem.

Tom

This is a fix I did on LED NAV lights:
- On the inside of the wingtip, add a .025? piece of aluminum that is held in by the NAV light mounting screws. This piece of aluminum need not be very big, so just a little bit bigger than the NAV light footprint should work.
- Run the NAV light ground wire, as short as practicable, to one of the mounting screws such that the ground wire in connected to this aluminum plate.
- Run the NAV power, strobe power and sync wires as before, the NAV ground lead goes to the same mounting screw.

The point - this small aluminum plate provides a ground to the NAV light case for installs on fiberglass instead of aluminum.

Carl

Back