What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repairman certificate with inspection rating

Phantom30

Well Known Member
Just got back from my local FAA office (Spokane Valley, WA), at which I submitted paperwork to get my Repairman Certificate with Inspection rating.

Was put through the winger concerning what I wanted. Was bated with questions like who will correct things found, which I stated I would fix any issues found wrong. The guy stated unless I completed the 120 course, I was not allowed (that an A&P or 120 hour completion guy would have to do work).

I stated I was aware that S-LSA aircraft fell into this category, but amature built E-LSA could be worked upon by their builder (he stated Van's was the manufacture)....what gives??? You guys who are better versed in these issues please pass on the reg#s that give us the authorization to do our own maintenance.

Who can perform maintenance is defined in part 43.
Part 43 does not apply to Experimental Category aircraft except where specifically called out in the operating limitations.
Therefore anyone can perform maintenance on Experimental Category aircraft.

Start with the very first paragraph of FAR 43. ( the part that regulates what certification is required to work on differ aircraft).

BTW, before applying for LSRI rating you have to complete a 16 Hr training course. Have you done that already?

Looks like Mel beat me to it, but pointing the FAA guys to the first paragraph might get you headed down the right path
You guys who are better versed in these issues please pass on the reg#s that give us the authorization to do our own maintenance.

Last edited:
Start with the very first paragraph of FAR 43. ( the part that regulates what certification is required to work on differ aircraft).

BTW, before applying for LSRI rating you have to complete a 16 Hr training course. Have you done that already?

Looks like Mel beat me to it, but pointing the FAA guys to the first paragraph might get you headed down the right path

Yup, I attended the 16 hr course given by Rainbow Aviation Service @ the SunRiver RV-12 Expo

Did they give you the completion certificate for the LSR-I course? All I had to do was fill out the application and show my FSDO the EAA course completion certificate.

Did they give you the completion certificate for the LSR-I course? All I had to do was fill out the application and show my FSDO the EAA course completion certificate.

Same here. It was real easy - no other questions of any sort.

I followed the "letter of the law"🙄, with all items required....course completion certificate, airworthiness certificate, aircraft registration, government picture ID, pilot license and application.

The guy either was ill informed (love it when big brother throws a little mis-information) or he was just f**king with me.

Hey Ric
Sounds like you just drew the "short straw" with that fellow. Attended the same 16-hour course as you did. Followed the process they described and I had no problem getting my cert from the Birmingham FSDO about this time last year.
Good luck!

Did he issue the certificate?

I also took two additional documents to the Wichita FSDO.

8900.1 sections 5-1246 thru 5-1259. This explains what the inspector must accomplish and also shows exactly how to fill out the document. I crossed out all of the parts that did not apply to "airplane" and ELSA, such as helicopter and SLSA.

Dick Koehler also recommended taking a copy of the operating limitation.

The inspector had not done one of these before and he did look at all of the documents including the marked up copy of the 8900.1.

FAR 65.107
(b) The holder of a repairman certificate (light-sport aircraft) with an inspection rating may perform the annual condition inspection on a light-sport aircraft:
(1) That is OWNED by the holder;

So, if you can perform the inspection, surely you must be allowed to perform the work (and you are).

For ELSA, the owner, not the builder, has the certificate. It is no longer valid if you sell.

Did he issue the certificate?

I also took two additional documents to the Wichita FSDO.

8900.1 sections 5-1246 thru 5-1259. This explains what the inspector must accomplish and also shows exactly how to fill out the document. I crossed out all of the parts that did not apply to "airplane" and ELSA, such as helicopter and SLSA.

Dick Koehler also recommended taking a copy of the operating limitation.

The inspector had not done one of these before and he did look at all of the documents including the marked up copy of the 8900.1.

FAR 65.107
(b) The holder of a repairman certificate (light-sport aircraft) with an inspection rating may perform the annual condition inspection on a light-sport aircraft:

So, if you can perform the inspection, surely you must be allowed to perform the work (and you are).

For ELSA, the owner, not the builder, has the certificate. It is no longer valid if you sell.

Yes, I was given a temporary.....the plastic one with number will come in the mail. I've emailed the first section of FAR 43 in which item 3b states that reg does not apply to "experimental" aircraft. Am waiting to hear back from them.

RV-12 MAINTENANCE MANUAL

I read in the MM (page 1-4) that you must have a "LSA repairman certificate with a maintenance rating" as a minimum level of certification to perform line maintenance or repairs and the annual condition inspection on an RV-12.
How does that fit with the 16 hour inspection rating?

Gary

I read in the MM (page 1-4) that you must have a "LSA repairman certificate with a maintenance rating" as a minimum level of certification to perform line maintenance or repairs and the annual condition inspection on an RV-12.
How does that fit with the 16 hour inspection rating?
Gary

As BigJohn said, This is the wording for SLSA.
Anyone can perform maintenance on ELSA.

FAR 65.107

Not necessarily in all cases. Example, a repairman may inspect an ELT and sign off that inspection, but he may NOT repair a faulty ELT.

Back