What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a little wiring help (Well maybe a lot)

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
The biggest problem of dragging a build out over many years, is you get so confused about where things were supposed to go! I found three open wires behind the panel, and due to labels I know one is P30, the trim motor wires, and the other two are pilot and co-pilot marked, obviously headset plug wires. Problem is I cannot find anywhere in my assembly instructions what to do with them! As one can see, they all have d-sub pins on them (except for several that I apparently broke off). Am I missing some pages from my plans? I have the D180 harness with the Skyview harness upgrade which tends to confuse things even more.
2gwhxys.jpg
[/IMG]

Don,
Let's take one set of wires at a time. Are there 5 wires in bundle P30? What color is each wire? Use an ohmmeter and measure the resistance between the wires in every possible combination and report back. According to the schematic, they connect as follows:
Pin 4 Wht/Grn
Pin 22 Wht/Blu
Pin 25 Wht/Org
Pin 31 Wht
Pin 32 Wht
They connect to either the conversion harness or better yet, directly to the AV-50000A fuselage D-Sub.
If the trim servo motor runs the wrong way, reverse the two motor wires.

Don,

I feel ya, dude! That's why I ordered all the kits at once and came in under the wire before Skyview. I suffer from Skyview envy, but I benefited from the most sophisticated and developed generation of tech before everybody else went to Skyview. There is a lot to be said for not being a pioneer!

Rich

If I had it to do over, I would have scrapped the D180 wiring and the "conversion harness" and bought the Skyview harness.

Don,

I feel ya, dude! That's why I ordered all the kits at once and came in under the wire before Skyview. I suffer from Skyview envy, but I benefited from the most sophisticated and developed generation of tech before everybody else went to Skyview. There is a lot to be said for not being a pioneer!

Rich

Yep, those are the same colors I have. Something just hit me though, I am also trying to figure out how to wire my AP Panel for the Skyview autopilot, which automatically controls the trim! They might go there!
2ynoyeo.jpg
[/IMG]
Don,
Let's take one set of wires at a time. Are there 5 wires in bundle P30? What color is each wire? Use an ohmmeter and measure the resistance between the wires in every possible combination and report back. According to the schematic, they connect as follows:
Pin 4 Wht/Grn
Pin 22 Wht/Blu
Pin 25 Wht/Org
Pin 31 Wht
Pin 32 Wht
They connect to either the conversion harness or better yet, directly to the AV-50000A fuselage D-Sub.
If the trim servo motor runs the wrong way, reverse the two motor wires.

Last edited:
Don, I have the D-180 system, so I am just going by the SkyView schematic. According to that the 5 pitch trim wires connect as posted above. The Dynon autopilot control panel connects to the Autopilot D-Sub on the AV-50000A control module, except for 3 wires that connect to the AV-50001 SWITCH & FUSE MODULE.

That agrees with what I am finding also Joe. I found on the Vans kit plans DVD what I was looking for and did not have, it is in the 31B section, shows where the trim wires go.
I bought my AP Panel direct from Dynon, and that apparently is why I have no Vans plans on wiring it. Gotta keep looking!

Don, I have the D-180 system, so I am just going by the SkyView schematic. According to that the 5 pitch trim wires connect as posted above. The Dynon autopilot control panel connects to the Autopilot D-Sub on the AV-50000A control module, except for 3 wires that connect to the AV-50001 SWITCH & FUSE MODULE.

Thanks, but Dave used a factory made harness for BOTH the knob and panel units. I am only doing one (AP Panel) and there is no harness available.I have no problem making cables at all, but Vans and Dynon don't offer too much help in doing that. I have a schematic and some conflicting writings so far to go by.

Don - this blog post shows exactly how to add the AP panel and auto-trim to a RV12 Skyview system with the conversion harnesses. http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com/2015/07/automating-autopilot.html

241qjwi.jpg
[/IMG]OK, I am still having problems - they seem to get worse. When trying to follow 31B 04 instructions, when I pulled that plug from the AV50000a box to put in the trim wires - I find that the holes are already full and one cannot add the trim wires as directed. What am I missing here?
2mebrjb.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
My guess would be that the wires need installed in the original D180 harness that is now mated (with no pins) to the opposite end of conversion harness viewed in the picture.

Last edited:
RV-12 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM w/D180 conversion cables to support Skyview and AP Knobs

RV-12 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM (Finish Kit Shipped prior to 08-25-11) 03-22-12 w 8-31-14 AP-KNOB MOD
DynonSkyviewKnobs.JPG

This diagram should help you with the trim wires they are in the lower left of the diagram.
Be sure to download the diagram and open in Adobe Reader to be able to zoom in with detail.
Here is the PDF
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84045440/RV-12%20ELECTRICAL%20SYSTEM%20(Finish%20Kit%20Shipped%20prior%20to%2008-25-11)%20%2003-22-12%20w%208-31-14%20AP-KNOB%20MOD.pdf

Hope this helps with the wiring

Last edited:
No Joe not yet. I even found another pair of wires, marked F64 and F65 to deal with yet! I have repeatedly claimed the RV12 was designed to be put together by a lonely housewife with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver, now not so sure:eek:

Don, the D-Sub that you are holding in the picture of post 11 is likely a conversion harness. And it is the wrong end of the conversion harness. Plug that connector back into the AV-50000A. Then follow the wires in the conversion harness to the other end. Do you find two D-Subs connected together? The trim wires should go into one of them.

Don - not sure which harness you actually have but the harness I am using the trim wires are in the shielded cable marked P30. I asked for and got the harness schematic from Stein because I am using GRT EFIS's for the 12 we are building and am de-constructing the DSubs for rewiring. The trim wires were part of the fuselage harness. The PDF's that SkunkWorks has linked for you should aid you in tracking down the wiring. Those are the ones I got from Stein.

Last edited:
There is no conversion harness for the Fuselage connector on the AV5000. What makes this more confusing, see attached photo, the plans show a 37 pin connector, but when you unplug the fuselage connector from the AV5000 it is a 50 pin connector!
ngcxvr.jpg
[/IMG]
Don, the D-Sub that you are holding in the picture of post 11 is likely a conversion harness. And it is the wrong end of the conversion harness. Plug that connector back into the AV-50000A. Then follow the wires in the conversion harness to the other end. Do you find two D-Subs connected together? The trim wires should go into one of them.

There is only one 50 pin D-Sub and it is for the EFIS. I counted the pins in the photo of post number 11 above and there are 37 pins.

OK, I finally found my problem I think. I was reading the titles on the AV5000 wrong! A closer look shows that the fuselage connector is the 37 pin one next door!
htag3k.jpg
[/IMG].

INTERPRETATION TIP........

The connector position that has the cut-out area in the color band is the one that the label is associated with.

Yeah that is obvious when nothing is plugged in, but harder to determine with a full connector collection plugged in. I have attempted to keep a printout handy, but did not have it when I pulled the last stunt.

Help!

I am still having a problem of where to put the trim wires. Seems strange that I seem to be the only one with a problem based on my use of the search feature on this forum!
The only guidance I can find is in 31B-04 dated 12-20-11. I had assumed this was D180 instructions originally because of the date and location, but it seems there was NO FUSELAGE D-SUB connector in the D180 wiring. There is also no mention of the trim wires in the conversion harness part of the instructions. There is only one fuselage D-sub I can find, that is the conversion harness that plugs into the AV5000, but the pins are not correct for the 31B-04 connector drawing, nor do its connection to the original harness have the right pin configuration!
I would appreciate someone who is at the right stage of wiring to look at where they put the trim wires (and maybe why they put them there). I am becoming convinced that I may have a wiring harness with some errors in it.

Trim wires

Don, on holiday in sunny Spain. Don't have info with me now but will look up again when home. My trim wires are up to the proper connector but I need to put some power on to determine up/down to make final connection. It is in the plans somewhere but as I said do not have to hand. I'm Skyview with conversion harnesses.

Thanks, I am skyview with conversion harness as well. This cannot be as complicated as it seems, just some very simple error or mistake someplace. (Maybe even MY mistake or error)

Hi Don,

I would like to jump in here. Maybe I can help. After reading the thread I see you think you may be missing a plan sheet. I also understand you are using the conversion harnesses on the D-180 fuselage harnesses.

It would be my interpretation that one would complete the D-180 wiring, including the trim wires, in the appropriate places per Section 31. NOT section 31B which is for the SV fuselage harness. And then one would work with the conversion section 42D to complete the wiring. I would not think you would even need to consult sect 31B at all.

The pitch trim wires, and the PTT wiring, for the D180 fuselage harness are installed on page 31-14 into the WH-RV12 Tunnel 37 pin male D-sub connector, NOT into any of the conversion harnesses, as shown here:
i-25HkRBz-L.jpg

You can download this page from Van's here.

So, unless you were instructed somewhere in Sec 42D to remove these pins from the WH-RV12 Tunnel 37 pin connector, that is where they go.

Last edited:
Don, the pair of wires marked F64 and F65, that you mentioned in post number 18 above, are from the music input jack that is located between the seats near the 12 volt power outlet (cigarette lighter). Those two wires connect to the fuselage D-Sub on the AV-50000A (or to the conversion harness if you have one).

Thanks much Tony, I believe you have solved the problem for me!
After seeing stuff in 31B I only went FORWARD, when I should have been going backwards. I will know for sure when I get back to the hangar, but I believe you have nailed it! The 31B stuff must be for the Skyview only harness, even though it don't say so.
I also notice my stray F64 and F65 wires are identified there as well.

Hi Don,

I would like to jump in here. Maybe I can help. After reading the thread I see you think you may be missing a plan sheet. I also understand you are using the conversion harnesses on the D-180 fuselage harnesses.

It would be my interpretation that one would complete the D-180 wiring, including the trim wires, in the appropriate places per Section 31. NOT section 31B which is for the SV fuselage harness. And then one would work with the conversion section 42D to complete the wiring. I would not think you would even need to consult sect 31B at all.

The pitch trim wires, and the PTT wiring, for the D180 fuselage harness are installed on page 31-14 into the WH-RV12 Tunnel 37 pin male D-sub connector, NOT into any of the conversion harnesses, as shown here:
i-25HkRBz-L.jpg

You can download this page from Van's here.

So, unless you were instructed somewhere in Sec 42D to remove these pins from the WH-RV12 Tunnel 37 pin connector, that is where they go.

You were correct! The Vans DVD does NOT include a section 31 at all! My week of research was limited by the fact that I did NOT have the sheet you provided!

The missing drawing that Tony just furnished, shows them going into the tunnel d-sub connector along with the trim wires.
Nothing I have shows moving them from there in the conversion harness.

Don, the pair of wires marked F64 and F65, that you mentioned in post number 18 above, are from the music input jack that is located between the seats near the 12 volt power outlet (cigarette lighter). Those two wires connect to the fuselage D-Sub on the AV-50000A (or to the conversion harness if you have one).

I just had to go out in the dark and stormy night to the hangar, yep that is where the wires go for sure! Thanks again Tony!

2a8j9ly.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
You were correct! The Vans DVD does NOT include a section 31 at all! My week of research was limited by the fact that I did NOT have the sheet you provided!

Sorry Don,
I think one of the people at Van's less experienced with the dynamics of building an airplane, incorrectly assumed that by the time the plans CD was being released that anyone with an early (D180) fuselage kit had surely finished building it by then. :rolleyes:

OK, I am just slow, rub it in! Actually the paper plans DID have it, but when studying I decided the super hot hangar was not as nice as my air conditioned computer room. Since the DVD was lots of time AFTER my kit plans, I incorrectly assumed that they would be better more complete and accurate. Anyhow, what a relief to finally find the answer to the problem that was bugging me for a week.

Sorry Don,
I think one of the people at Van's less experienced with the dynamics of building an airplane, incorrectly assumed that by the time the plans CD was being released that anyone with an early (D180) fuselage kit had surely finished building it by then. :rolleyes:

Slow

I suspect I may actually slower than Don. Getting there, definitely next year. But how many times have I said that.

Back