What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

35-07 Step 7

Gandalf

Well Known Member
Befuddled a bit by this step and followed my motto "When in doubt, buy a new tool." :) This reverse fill brake kit is from Pheonix Systems.

reverseFill.jpg

Getting all the air out of the brake lines can be tricky. If this gadget helps with that it is worth its weight in gold!

Hey Gandalf
I just bled mine last week with the exact same tool. Seems to work well except for the amount of pressure needed to squeeze the trigger. Does yours seem to squeeze fairly easy?
I have a small leak on the pilot side and will be bleeding again.

The initial pressure required was high. What I did was connect both ends of the system to the bottle, sort of like bleeding the system alone. I then pumped the brake fluid through the bottle until I was satisfied that all the air was out of the lines. By then, the system pumped easily.

When I was done, I drained as much fluid as possible and capped off the ends of the tube to the gun and put the bottle in a zip lock bag and everything went back into the case.

After exercising the brakes I see two small air pockets left, past the cylinders. So I ordered a bottle trap, hoping to attach it to the top of the reservoir, for an easy one man final reverse bleed. In a perfect world, there would be some type of adapter to screw into the top of the reservoir for attaching tubing.

Getting all the air out of the brake lines can be tricky. If this gadget helps with that it is worth its weight in gold!

I set up a closed loop system and bled like heck. No matter how hard I try a small bubble remains in the low pressure side of the system between the right side master cylinders and the reservoir. Does not seem harm the effectiveness of the brakes or the refill system.

bleedBrakes%201.jpg

bleedBrakes%202.jpg

I seemed to get all the air out the first time, but when I had to open the system again for other stuff, I just could not get all the air out no matter how hard I tried. (I was using a garden sprayer for pressure source, plenty of pressure and volume) My final solution was to crack open the master cylinder line closest to the bubble, then by the bleeder or pumping the brakes, blow out the air thru the cracked fitting. My only mistake was continuing to fight the bleeder instead of just cracking the lines a bit.

Back