What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Medical reform: good for Cessnas, bad for RV12s

So, when does the 10 year medical clock start? Is it July 15,2016, or some future date?
Tom

"(2) the individual holds a medical certificate issued by the Federal Aviation Administration on the date of enactment of this Act, held such a certificate at any point during the 10-year period preceding such date of enactment, or obtains such a certificate after such date of enactment;"

Date of enactment was 15 Jul 2016.

Last edited:
I like my $11 burger!

(Based on the current cost of premium at Costco....I have yet to have to add a drop of oil to this engine between changes)

Tony T, as I read the ACT a non-FAA doctor can, and perhaps for liability reasons will, during the every four-years medical exam note conditions questionable for flying. But such observations and any recommendations are not legal groundings. We will be free to disregard said advice if in our personal opinion we are fit to fly.

Of course now we do that every day for the two years following a third class FAA medical. Such self-determination governs after next July, but with more information from the two-year online courses and the non-FAA physicals.

"(2) the individual holds a medical certificate issued by the Federal Aviation Administration on the date of enactment of this Act, held such a certificate at any point during the 10-year period preceding such date of enactment, or obtains such a certificate after such date of enactment;"

Date of enactment was 15 Jul 2016.

Thanks Mel. Always able to depend on you for accurate info.
Tom.

Does this mean all I need is my drivers license to get my 3rd class license?

I'm in good health, but have a mechanical heart valve, and diabetes, and someday I want to get my full private license.

I can pass a physical, but fear of not passing has me not even considering anything but light sport, (as well as my wallet size).

Does this mean all I need is my drivers license to get my 3rd class license?

I'm in good health, but have a mechanical heart valve, and diabetes, and someday I want to get my full private license.

I can pass a physical, but fear of not passing has me not even considering anything but light sport, (as well as my wallet size).

I would not try to get a medical in your situation. However if you want you could just have a consultation with an AME for advice without applying for a medical. He would know for sure. And since you never filled out the application for a medical all conversation would be confidential between you and your doctor.;)

Back