What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

12 Canopy Gas Strut Kit

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Got an email notice that a new, all-steel canopy strut is available from Van's as "12 Canopy Gas Strut Kit". Only problem is, I've searched everywhere I can on Van's site and don't find it. Does this really exist or is it an elaborate spoof?

Wayne 120241/143WM

Got an email notice that a new, all-steel canopy strut is available from Van's as "12 Canopy Gas Strut Kit". Only problem is, I've searched everywhere I can on Van's site and don't find it. Does this really exist or is it an elaborate spoof?

Wayne 120241/143WM

You and me brother....it's a spoof😎 Glad I'm not the only one looking in vain!

I saw the notice Friday afternoon and called Vans. I ordered the kit (forgot to ask how much), supposed to ship Monday...

Should have a recall

Seems to me this should be free, the Gas Strut we paid for in the finish kit should have a recall.

My View

Joe Dallas

I saw the notice Friday afternoon and called Vans. I ordered the kit (forgot to ask how much), supposed to ship Monday...

The alternate view is that thousands of hours have been put on the company
prototypes/demonstrators without breaking any struts.
Does that mean the dozen or so pilots that fly these airplanes have superior operating skills to the rest of the RV-12 pilot population, or that all have just been lucky? Maybe yes to both, but I doubt it.
The improved struts are being used in place of the originals to add some additional safety margin.

BTW, the release of these at the time of the most recent incident is just coincidence. Work has been in process with the manufacture for many months to source struts of the same specs but with metal ends.

Scott

Since that is my plane that is in the video, although it was posted without my approval, don't you think I should receive mine gratis. Especially since I just put new struts on the canopy during the May Condition Inspection. The old struts had no gas left in them and would not even hold the canopy up.

Scott

Since that is my plane that is in the video, although it was posted without my approval, don't you think I should receive mine gratis. Especially since I just put new struts on the canopy during the May Condition Inspection. The old struts had no gas left in them and would not even hold the canopy up.

Not a decision I can make. I suggest you call the office and talk with someone about it and see what they can do.

Gas Struts

I picked up my kit at Van's and I think it was $68.......two struts and hardware.
You have to drill out both ends.......

Back