What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PAP Test Pilot Question?

newamiga

Well Known Member
So I was reading through the PAP document. I noticed in the PAP section of flight testing it says the following:

Test Pilot Qualifications:
A test pilot must have at least the following qualifications:
? Be physically fit, mentally and emotionally stable. Test flying an aircraft is a stressful and
strenuous occupation.
? Be rated and have recent experience in the RV-12 or similar low wing Rotax 912 powered
Light Sport Aircraft.
? Have current medical, flight review, and insurance.

I suspect that many builders of the RV-12 who are flying under Sport Pilot rules probably don't have a current medical, but have flown as test pilots in their RV-12's and signed off the PAP. Not trying to start trouble, just wondering if I am missing something and if there is something in the FAR about requirements of being a test pilot that I haven't seen?

Thanks
Carl

Carl,

I don't know of any legal requirement for the pilot other than they be properly rated and meet currency requirements (BFR and meet the medical requirements with at least a class III or current state driver license). However, I am sure Vans wants the reputation of their product preserved so it makes sense they recommend these minimum requirements. I admit I had no RV time on my first flight, but I had done three previous first flights in homebuilts so I felt comfortable doing it. In the end it's up to the owner how much experience they demand, but the Vans suggestion certainly gives you the best chance of an "RV Grin" after first flight.

Rich

In the case of a sport pilot, a valid drivers license and "self certified" medically fit to fly, fulfills the medical requirements.

It may be 61.113(H) that you are thinking about.

(h) A private pilot may act as pilot in command for the purpose of conducting a production flight test in a light-sport aircraft intended for certification in the light-sport category under ?21.190 of this chapter, provided that?

(1) The aircraft is a powered parachute or a weight-shift-control aircraft;

(2) The person has at least 100 hours of pilot-in-command time in the category and class of aircraft flown; and

(3) The person is familiar with the processes and procedures applicable to the conduct of production flight testing, to include operations conducted under a special flight permit and any associated operating limitations.

Julian,

Is that the same Julian I flew with for his RV checkout? Man, you got a lot of time on your hands if you found this in the FARs!😜

Rich

Back