What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Digitial flight data in a spin entry?

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Has anybody spun their RV when they had a Dynon or Garmin system recording the digital flight data -- G, IAS, altitude, pitch, roll, yaw, and the rates of pitch, roll, and yaw? A video is unlikely to help.

I'm looking at some accident data in which the subject aircraft may have spun at a 60? bank, or it may have already been out of control when it got to that bank angle.

I can't gather my own data because the RV-9 is not supposed to be spun, and because my spine isn't stout enough to handle a spin recovery.

Please PM me if you've got the data.

Thanks!

Ed

Ed, this one had all the indicators. Unfortunately, the downloaded data was in 5 second intervals.

https://www.danhorton.net/VAF/Digital Flight Data in a Spin Entry/R11102014120000.pdf

There's an old thread in the archives. Raw .csv file here:

https://www.danhorton.net/VAF/Digital Flight Data in a Spin Entry/

"Slip" is misleading, as it's not really slip, and it's not degrees. Checking with Advanced confirmed it to be yaw rate in radians per second.

My interpretation of the data:

Don%20Hall%20Abrev%20Data%20w%20Notes.jpg

Has anybody spun their RV when they had a Dynon or Garmin system recording the digital flight data -- G, IAS, altitude, pitch, roll, yaw, and the rates of pitch, roll, and yaw? A video is unlikely to help.

I'm looking at some accident data in which the subject aircraft may have spun at a 60? bank, or it may have already been out of control when it got to that bank angle.

I can't gather my own data because the RV-9 is not supposed to be spun, and because my spine isn't stout enough to handle a spin recovery.

Please PM me if you've got the data.

Thanks!

Ed

Hey Ed,

I'll get out to the airport and capture it this week. It's tough to look at my old files and guess what maneuever I was doing without tossing it into google earth too.

Paul

Back