What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build or Buy?

D1grove

I'm New Here
I have completed the tail section for my RV-7A. I am,however, not finding much time to start the rest of the project. I am the father of three girls and my time to work on the project is limited. I am considering buying an RV-4 already built so I can start flying now. Any thoughts? I am a low-time pilot (~200 hrs) and would need to have plenty of instruction in the RV-4.
Thanks
Doug
Del Mar, Ca.

If you have lots of time, and enjoy building, build; If you don't, buy. The drop in prices over the last year makes it cheaper to buy than to build especially when looking at the -4.

Consider the fact that it can take 2,000 hours +/- to build. When time is limited that many hours in your vocation may (may not) provide enough cash to buy outright. Even if you got all the parts, engine, prop, avionics for free it might be cheaper to buy a completed airplane..... all things considered.

My experience is that when I don?t have much time building, I certainly don?t have much time flying. A finished aircraft has to be flown regularly and maintained properly, and that takes a lot of time. So I fly with the local club or rent, and when my -4 is finished, the kids have grown ? in my case - a lot :)

I'd buy..........

.......if I had it to do over, for sure. I've seen a $44,000 RV-6 at 'Vegas and a few other bargains. Our parts cost alone was over $68,000, three years ago with a used engine, avionics and gyro's.

A very basic VFR airplane can be updated with newer "glass" one step at a time. A replacement instrument panel from Van is around $15.00, so you can sit it on your workbench and add stuff as time/money allows and then re-install the newer panel down the road.

Regards,

Welcome to VAF

There is no way I would take off 2-3 years from flying to build, I love flying too much. Do both. Buy to fly, and have an "aluminum mistress" in the shop for something to do when the kids (or wife) start bugging you. ;) Besides, the kids will love to go flying!

Last edited:
Loud and Clear

I hear you! I was in your same predicament 2 years ago. I got frustrated and sold my emp, wings and tools for less than half of what I had invested. (dumb) I started flying again, got my tailwheel endorcement, purchased a Flying RV4 which I really enjoy.(smart) If I had it to do over again I would 1) have purchased a QUICK BUILD KIT! or 2) Stacked the kit in the corner and take a break and let things cool down. 3) DO NOT SELL YOUR TOOLS! You will need them to work on a flying RV if you go that route. Whatever you decide, keep your interest in RV's, you will be glad you did!

just buy one

Buy it and fly it. Have someone who has built one do the pre buy however. Lots of little things to look for that lead to to other little things. When you find a solid one, Buy it and get in the air.
Your two hundred hours should be fine if you get some tail wheel time and a sign off. The RV-4 is one of the easiest tail wheel airplanes I've ever flown. Very docile. Also fits under the wing of most Cessnas if your going to share a hangar.
As for maintaining it, hook up with some local RV-guys and buy lots of lunches and beers. ;-) They will take care of you. Best bunch of folks I've ever hung out with. My only regret is I didn't do it a long time ago.

Dennis
RV-4 bought
re working everything... ;-)

I hear you! I was in your same predicament 2 years ago. I got frustrated and sold my emp, wings and tools for less than half of what I had invested. (dumb) I started flying again, got my tailwheel endorcement, purchased a Flying RV4 which I really enjoy.(smart) If I had it to do over again I would 1) have purchased a QUICK BUILD KIT! or 2) Stacked the kit in the corner and take a break and let things cool down. 3) DO NOT SELL YOUR TOOLS! You will need them to work on a flying RV if you go that route. Whatever you decide, keep your interest in RV's, you will be glad you did!

It is what it is

Building is all about Family Support, Time, Money and Space (maybe not in that order for everyone). This equation IMHO means QUICK BUILD RV4, Basic VFR midtime 150HP Lycomming, Basic shiney Paint, Catto Prop. Geeez, Im talking myself into building again.....

Buy

If you don't have much time then buy, no question. If you can afford it keep the project and work on it as you can, but flying and maintaining will take a chunk of time. Don't worry overly about the transition, find a good CFI with plenty of tailwheel, and preferably RV, time and you'll have no problem after a few hours.

Buying the right airplane is a little more tricky. Good RVs sell very quickly, so spread the word locally that you are looking, and place wanted ads. If you go look at airplanes for sale in the classifieds take a very savvy friend and be very thorough with your investigation. Have the cash waiting and don't be too picky. Good luck!

Pete

Buy!

Building is for people who WANT to build! Period.
If you even have to ask this question, then most likely the answer is BUY!

My $.02, I bought one.

My situation was similar. I considered building. But at this point in my life building just didn't fit with the priorities in life. One of my priorities was to have a flying plane while my teenage son was still at home so we could enjoy it together (2 daughters already in college, it goes fast:eek:). So, after several months of watching the ads, last fall I found the -6 I wanted. Got 5.5 hours TD training, then, when the RV arrived, another 5 hrs transition in my new (to me) 6. To say the least, we have thoroughly enjoyed it:D. I don't have any more time for flying than I would have for building. But I fit in a 30-45 minute flight, once or twice a week. Amazing what a short flight in the evening does for a guy. In the mean time, I think having a flying RV will give me a better idea of what/how to build in a few years if I decide to. So, I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy if you want to fly while your kids are still kids. And if you want to keep building, then you can do it without feeling as much pressure to get 'er done:rolleyes:.

Doug,
I had the exact same issue. I really want to build, but wasn't quite sure of the details. So I bought a flying RV4 and plan to start building an RV next year. This way I can fly and learn as much as possible and apply all the lessons learned and the "wants" to the plane I will build. People were correct with the prices being down with a down economy. So if you can buy and fly one while building the other...do it!!!
Steve H.
N722DW/N160NS

Fly now, build later...

Having built a -4, flown it 10 years and sold it and bought a semi-flying Rocket my vote is buy. You can buy a nice flying RV4 right now for less than the cost of building one.

Some people love building, I'm not one of them!

Smokey
HR2

PS: I just passed 430 hours in two and half years on my "re-built" Rocket, you can too! :)

Last edited:
Join EAA & BUY BUY BUY... (but get an RV builder to do the PPI)

I built a KRII over a very loooong time (part built kit and then I redid almost the whole thing with plenty help - Major thing it did was convince me a Lancair was not for me. I HATE FIBERGLASS):mad:. When I started the KR it was all I could afford, I was single and had time. By the time I was ready to fly it (10 years) I was married with 4 kids and I could afford a flying -4.

Locally we do not have the 51% rule, but unless you are builder you can not do ANY maintenance so I am now considering a 7 kit to get the "repairman's certificate". The FBO's are just not up to scratch and work is **** poor. That said with current economic slowdown the prices of flying aeries are proving difficult to resist. Have just bought a 6 for significantly less than the cost of all the parts with CS prop and full steam panel. IMHO go for good build. paint, panel and interior is cheap to "fix"

Had I started building an RV way back when I built the KR, I would def have sold the kit since there was a very small support base. Now there are literally almost 100 builders active in SA. I now also have a good idea of what I would do differently and when building blues get bad I go fly for a bit and it recharges the batteries....

Cost of -4 especially (although I have seen a couple 6's below $50K as well) is way below the sum of the parts. IO360 with CS prop is nice to have, but O320 with FP prop does it just as well and is significantly cheaper...

I bought a flying RV-4 10 years ago. I now have two kids and another on the way. With the wife at home with the kids all week, it ain't easy to take off for 3 hrs on a Saturday to go have fun by myself while she spends Day 6 with the kids...
If being a good dad doesn't give ya much time to build, then it'll be the same with flying. Only thing is that RV will be rotting in the sun while you fly it once a month...Or you'll be like me last weekend - cleaning a birdnest out of the cowl. After that, I moved it into a hangar and told the wife the $400/month for the hangar rent is a necessity, end of story...
I'd say keep building and rent an airplane now and then. Maybe the kids will have fun helping ya (ok, probably not), but at least they'll be older when it's ready to take to the air...
Just my 2 cents.
Mike
RV-4C-GJIP

Back