What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel sending unit problems

wjnmd

Well Known Member
I have a 3-screen Garmin G3X panel (non-touch) that is working perfectly except my fuel quantity indicator on the right wing has gone wonky. Even after filling the tank, it indicates zero fuel. I?m assuming this is a problem with the sending unit but I wondered if anybody has any other insights. I?m guessing I probably need to replace the sending unit however my RV-7A is over 10 years old and has one of the old Stewart-Warner units (#F385B). I need to get this problem resolved before AirVenture since I will be flying from south Florida. If it is a sending unit issue, what is the sending unit you folks are installing? I currently use the float (resistive) type unit and that?s what I plan for the replacement.

Fuel sender

I found my right fuel sender was improperly clocked. It may seem that there is only one possible position but really there are at least two positions. The sender has to articulate at a 90 degree angle to the fuel level.

Some things to check:
- Is the sender center wire intact?
- Is the sender really grounded? Easy check is to measure the resistance to ground on the sender base.
- Measure the resistance between the sender post and ground.
- Measure the G3X input from the sender to ground.

If it worked before I would first make sure the wiring is not the problem. If it has never worked with your G3X, then I would assume the G3X wiring is the problem.

If you do replace the sender, just get the replacement from Van's.

Carl

Back