What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tight Oil filter solutions

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
I'm coming up to my second oil change. The first was an absolute mess! I went ahead and installed a quick drain but that won't help with the tight fit of my oil filter. The 10 has very little space for the oil filter before it nests into the firewall. I'm looking to see what others have used, maybe a small pan or something to catch the oil.

I actually thought of taking a stainless steel 6" pie dish, connecting a hose to it and trying that. Curious what other solutions people have come up with.. outside of remote/angled oil filter adapters.

Thanks!

My Lancair oil filter is very tight against the firewall. First, I use a K&N filter and when I change it out I slip a large zip lock bag over the filter, loosen first, and let the oil and filter drop into the bag. After a few minutes I slid the bag out and put a rag over the filter mount until I install the new filter. If you're careful you can do a no mess filter change.

My method in other RV other than 10 but hope it works as well for the 10.

There are some gadgets made to drain the oil out of the oil fitter first. I did create a such gadget which consist of a large hose clamp with a hole drilled into its strap for a brass bushing which fits around the filter. I would tie the hose clamp around the filter and poke a hole thru the brass bushing, then connect a clear hose to it, turn it 180 degrees and poke another hole to allow the oil to drain back.
Then I would use a grocery bag or similar that did not have holes to cover and catch any remaining oil as I spun the oil filter completely out. This bag caught any remaining oil that was in the oil filter and due to the tight space, I would just drop the oil filter in the bag to pull it out of the area.

The grocery bag is the best method and can achieve zero drop/mess.

Good luck.

That's actually how I did it on my 172. I honestly don't think there's enough room to put a bag around it, well enough forward that it would catch the oil.

My Lancair oil filter is very tight against the firewall. First, I use a K&N filter and when I change it out I slip a large zip lock bag over the filter, loosen first, and let the oil and filter drop into the bag. After a few minutes I slid the bag out and put a rag over the filter mount until I install the new filter. If you're careful you can do a no mess filter change.

This is what I do on my 6, which is quite tight. Takes a bit of practice to do it without drips, but works well.

Larry

That's actually how I did it on my 172. I honestly don't think there's enough room to put a bag around it, well enough forward that it would catch the oil.

A standard lyc oil filter base assy will have a narrow area just forward of the base plate (where filter gasket seals). You pull the top of the bag tight into this narrow area to force oil to drip into the bag.

Larry

Either a Zip lock or plastic bag as others have covered.

Or

Sometimes if you cut the side out of a 1 qt oil container with the cap in place you can sneak(twist/flex and deform if required) it under the filter sideways in a horizontal position. (if you have a lyc/horizontal filter mount) Then after the filter is off and 95% of the drips have stopped, you can carefully lift your catch tray out before you spin the new filter on.

Either method can provide a zero mess filter change if you are careful.

Looks like the bag method is still the best. I?m going to pick up one of those tempest oil punch drainers and get ?most? the oil out. Then I?ll bag the rest... or try to.

I've used this for over 14 years on my 7A and now my 10. Let it drain for an hour or two. Almost don't need the baggie but I do. No mess and simple to use. ACS and others sell them

Gary

9qkc4m.jpg
[/IMG]

I've used this for over 14 years on my 7A and now my 10. Let it drain for an hour or two. Almost don't need the baggie but I do. No mess and simple to use. ACS and others sell them

Just bought the one for Tempests. We'll see how it works.

YMMV, but

Just bought the one for Tempests. We'll see how it works.

My 10 Friend uses the oil bib and gave me some to try, I am hooked!! No mess, and I have to use a custom offset wrench to final torque. The bib is tough and will catch the draining oil from the filter and the can too when it falls. The front pulls tightly up under my filter base adapter. No drips no mess. Yes it's pricey, but works very well.

Better than 30 min cleaning up the oil mess.

Last edited:
Third shoutout for the form a funnel. I use the largest model, form one end to fit underneath the filter. Then punch ahole in the top of the filter, rotate so the hole is facing the the filter to start draining, then punch a second hole at the top surface to expedite the drain. Of course the other end of the funnel has to be over a bucket or drain can. Absolutely no mess.

I cut up a flimsy cutting board so it resembles the form a funnel. Slip one or two in line and let the oil drain down into the bucket. works great, Cut to size!

Fourth vote for the form-a-funnel.

I made a mess of several oil changes on the -10 before I started using it. Including with ziploc bags and even the fancy oil change bag.

With the R mag and B&C alternator in place there is little room; I can sneak the form-a-funnel up in there around the base of the filter, tape a small tupperware container at the bottom, and loosen the filter so it runs down the funnel.

The last few changes I have not spilled a drop. Wipe off the funnel and good to go for the next one.

My 10 Friend uses the oil bib and gave me some to try, I am hooked!! No mess, and I have to use a custom offset wrench to final torque. The bib is tough and will catch the draining oil from the filter and the can too when it falls. The front pulls tightly up under my filter base adapter. No drips no mess. Yes it's pricey, but works very well.

Better than 30 min cleaning up the oil mess.

+1 for the Oil Bib! By far the easiest and cleanest way I have found. :)

Similar to using a form-a-funnel, I was lucky enough to discover a piece of aluminum angle would rest immediately below the oil filter seal face such that it formed a trough. I crack it open and let it drool for 10ish minues into the angle while prepping other items. Has worked for 16 changes so far (meaning I have not lost the piece of angle :p)

Back